Acura ILX Hybrid Review
The 2014 Acura ILX Hybrid ranks 11 out of 12 Upscale Small Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Acura ILX Hybrid, as well as reliability and safety data.
Despite offering a smooth, luxurious ride, reviewers say the 2014 Acura ILX Hybrid’s fuel economy doesn’t measure up to that of rival hybrids.
The 2014 Acura ILX Hybrid features a four-cylinder engine and an electric motor, which are paired with a continuously variable transmission (CVT). Test drivers say that the ILX Hybrid has acceptable power for city driving, but feels underpowered for highway driving and passing maneuvers. A standard start-stop fuel-saving feature frustrates several reviewers who say the engine is slow to restart after a stop. The ILX Hybrid gets EPA-estimated fuel economy ratings of 39/38 mpg city/highway, which is low for a hybrid. Reviewers say the ILX Hybrid delivers a smooth and comfortable ride but isn’t much fun to drive. They also say the steering lacks feedback.
The ILX Hybrid’s cabin is made with upscale materials, reviewers say, though some add that they aren’t up to par with luxury cars’ materials. Seats are comfy and supportive but headroom is limited because of the standard moonroof, they say, adding that rear space is adequate. The ILX Hybrid is chock full of standard features, including Bluetooth connectivity, a rearview camera, a USB port, and a voice messaging feature that pairs with compatible smartphones to read texts aloud. The Technology package adds an upgraded audio system with surround sound, real-time traffic and weather updates, a hard drive with 15 GB of media storage and an 8-inch navigation screen. While several reviewers say the dashboard is cluttered with knobs and buttons, most agree that the controls are accessible and easy enough to use. Cargo space is typically small in hybrids, but the ILX Hybrid’s trunk is smaller than others in the class.
- "The ILX Hybrid delivers good -- but not outstanding -- fuel economy and is relatively expensive." -- Edmunds
- "The 2014 ILX offers a sleek, upbeat look, snappy performance, crisp handling, a stylish interior and levels of technology, convenience and safety commensurate with buyers' expectations." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "It's not horrible when meandering away in urban settings, but that's the most praise we can offer its ability to get the show on the road, and we twice found ourselves puckering tightly as we goaded the ILX Hybrid into turning across traffic - once as a driver and once as a passenger." -- Autoblog (2013)
- "ILX bridges a gap of sorts between regular compact cars and the current crop of premium compacts. Except in the 2.4 model (which few will likely buy due to its mandatory manual transmission), acceleration leans toward the leisurely side--particularly in the Hybrid--but chassis composure, noise suppression, and interior materials are at luxury levels." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
- "The ILX sedan is stylish and delivers a luxurious, comfortable ride." -- AutoWeek (2012)
Other Cars to Consider
When equipped with a turbocharged diesel engine, the Volkswagen Golf gets great fuel economy for a non-hybrid car. Reviewers also praise the Golf for its upscale cabin and spacious back seat.
If you’d rather not use gas at all, take a look at the all-electric Nissan Leaf. The Leaf has a lot more cargo room than the ILX Hybrid thanks to its hatchback style. The Leaf goes up to 75 miles between charges, and reviewers say that it performs just like a gas-powered car.
Details: 2014 Acura ILX Hybrid
The 2014 Acura ILX Hybrid sedan seats five, has standard front-wheel drive and a continuously variable transmission. A 1.5-liter four-cylinder engine and an electric motor produce 111 horsepower combined. There are two trims: Hybrid and Hybrid with Technology Package. The gas-only Acura ILX is reviewed separately. The Acura ILX Hybrid was all-new in 2013, and sees few changes for the 2014 model year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from 2013 and 2014.
Next Steps: Acura ILX Hybrid
- View the best prices for the 2014 Acura ILX Hybrid
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Acura ILX Hybrid
- See Upscale Small Cars rankings