Acura MDX Review
The 2016 Acura MDX ranks 8 out of 18 Luxury Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Acura MDX, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2016 Acura MDX is ranked:
The 2016 Acura MDX gets great fuel economy, and reviewers say it has a strong engine and handles better than most rivals, but its infotainment system is hard to use.
Auto writers are very impressed with the 2016 MDX's V6 engine, noting that it's powerful and produces quick acceleration. They also like its quick-shifting nine-speed automatic transmission. The 2016 MDX gets up to an EPA-estimated 20/27 mpg city/highway, which are some of the best estimates in the class. According to reviewers, the Acura MDX feels composed through turns and offers sharper handling than most rivals. A few test drivers say the MDX is comfortable over rough patches of road, but others report that its ride is too firm.
Overall, reviewers are impressed with the 2016 Acura MDX's handsome, quiet cabin. Although they agree that the MDX has high-quality interior materials, they note that some rivals have more luxurious materials. Some reviewers say the MDX's seats are tight in all three rows, but others say the seats are comfortable and there's good legroom, particularly in the second row. The 2016 MDX comes with a rearview camera, tri-zone automatic climate control, Bluetooth, USB and auxiliary inputs, satellite radio, an infotainment system with an 8-inch touch screen, proximity key and push-button start. Available features include lane departure warning, lane keep assist, blind spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control, forward collision warning with automatic braking, remote start, front and rear parking sensors, a rear-seat DVD system, GPS-linked climate control, navigation, a 12-speaker ELS audio system and AcuraWatch. Auto writers are disappointed in some of the Acura MDX's features, noting that the infotainment and navigation systems are difficult to use, and the lane departure warning system is glitchy. A few also wish the display screen graphics were crisper. With the second- and third-row seats folded, the MDX has good cargo space for the class. However, critics note that there's little cargo space when both rows are upright.
- "The Acura MDX dominates the luxury crossover SUV market for one simple reason: it does everything well. Whether you want a luxurious family hauler, an agile and fun driving machine, or just seek the quiet and comfort of a luxury brand, the Acura MDX has it." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "But at its core, the Acura MDX remains one of our favorite seven-passenger crossovers. The 2016 transmission and technology updates help keep it competitive in its class and take nothing away from its spirited handling and fun-to-drive character." -- Car and Driver
- "Stepping back and regarding the MDX as an entire package, we'd say it's easy and inviting to drive, classy enough to satisfy those addicted to premium machines, high-tech enough to indulge that tendency in many of today's driver. Good choice for those who fit, can decode operation of the infotainment/connectivity electronics and can spend $43,000 to $58,000." -- USA Today
- "Other popular picks include the BMW X5, which has less third-row space but serves up the most engaging performance of the bunch, and the Infiniti QX60, an unexciting but well-equipped offering that's similar in concept to the MDX. But in typical Acura fashion, the MDX is so solid across the board that it remains one of our top recommendations this year." -- Edmunds
Acura MDX Pictures & Videos
Other SUVs to Consider
Test drivers praise the Volvo XC90 for its incredibly straightforward smartphone-like infotainment system, which they say is one of the best in the class. They add that the XC90 has exceptionally comfortable front seats and premium interior materials.
Reviewers say the BMW X5 has engaging driving dynamics and strong brakes. It can also be equipped with one of three powerful engines, including a strong turbocharged and fuel-efficient diesel engine.
Details: 2016 Acura MDX
The 2016 Acura MDX seats seven and has a V6 engine and nine-speed automatic transmission. The MDX is available with front- or all-wheel drive, and multiple packages are available that add technology, entertainment and driver assistance features. Aside from a new transmission, a new version of Acura's all-wheel drive system and new available safety features, the MDX is mostly unchanged since its redesign in 2014. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2014 through 2016 model years.
Next Steps: Acura MDX
- View the best prices for the 2016 Acura MDX
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2016 Acura MDX
- Search used Acura MDX for sale (5,531 listings)
- See Luxury Midsize SUVs rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals