Acura MDX Review
The 2013 Acura MDX ranks 3 out of 19 Luxury Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of 90 published reviews and test drives of the Acura MDX, and our analysis of reliability and safety data.
The 2013 Acura MDX is ranked:
The 2013 Acura MDX is a good choice for anyone looking for a seven-seat upscale crossover with lots of technology and good handling.
The Acura MDX is a test driver favorite for its refined handling, which is aided by its standard all-wheel drive. Although some say it feels sluggish off the line, most are generally pleased with the power from the MDX's standard 300-horsepower V6 engine, and say it is well-matched to its six-speed automatic transmission. Reviewers also like its steering, which they say provides good feedback to the driver. Its weakest performance attribute is its fuel economy, which, at 16/21 mpg city/highway, is mediocre.
The Acura MDX is the 2013 Best Luxury 3-Row Midsize SUV for the Money because it has the best combination of ownership costs and positive reviews in its class.
Critics say the MDX’s cabin is upscale and well-built, with good material quality. They also like the array of technology it is available with, including navigation, a multi-view camera and a solar-sensing climate system. Some are overwhelmed by the great number of buttons that adorn the center stack. The MDX seats seven in three rows, with a third row that lacks space for longer trips for anyone other than children. The other seats draw high marks for comfort from nearly all reviewers.
- "Acura's 2013 MDX continues to wow customers and confound the competition. The 7-passenger MDX doesn't offer a host of different trims or engine choices, nor is it the freshest face on the block. What the MDX does have going for it is a long and stellar history, one chock-full of positive accolades and repeat customers. In the 2013 MDX, Acura has achieved the perfect blend of size, power, fuel economy, ride, handling and luxury." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The 2013 Acura MDX delivers plenty of luxury, refinement and performance without breaking the bank, making it a standout in its class." -- Edmunds
- "Acura's bread-and-butter SUV is getting a bit long in the tooth, but that doesn't mean it isn't an excellent vehicle that's worth your consideration." -- Consumer Guide
- "It proffers creamy ride quality (even in sport mode, which is the default setting), generally good steering feel, comfortable seats, respectable roominess in its second and third rows, subdued road and wind noise in most conditions, and ease of operation." -- Car and Driver (2011)
Other Luxury SUVs to Consider
If you’re looking for a sporty upscale SUV and don’t need a third row, the Infiniti FX is a good choice. Like the Acura, Infiniti’s FX has many technology features, and is also one of the best-performing vehicles in its class. It comes standard with a V6, but is also available with a powerful V8.
The Audi Q7 is a strong choice for its spacious cabin that seats seven, as well as its classy styling and refined handling. The Q7 is even available with a diesel engine, which gets outstanding fuel economy for the class.
Details: 2013 Acura MDX
The 2013 Acura MDX is available in one trim level, but can be equipped with several option packages. It is powered by a V6 engine, which is paired with a six-speed automatic transmission. All-wheel drive is standard. The Acura MDX received a fairly comprehensive refresh in 2010, and since it sees no major changes for the 2013 model year, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from 2010 through 2013.
Next Steps: Acura MDX
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Acura MDX
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Acura MDX for sale (2,311 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Acura MDX
- See what others paid for the 2013 Acura MDX
- View Acura MDX Photos
- See Luxury Midsize SUVs rankings