Acura MDX Performance
Reviewers say that the MDX is relatively fun to drive, with composed, refined handling and plenty of power. Most note that its transmission is responsive, though some also say that the MDX feel sluggish from a stop. At 16/21 mpg city/highway, its fuel economy is typical for the class, but not spectacular. All-wheel drive is standard.
- "When pushed hard, Acura's 300-horsepower V6 engine, sophisticated all-wheel-drive system and optional active-damping system combine to deliver an SUV that's remarkably fun to push in the turns." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Overall, the Acura MDX is one of the most rewarding luxury crossovers to drive." -- Edmunds
- "On the highways and back roads, the MDX made friends with everyone." -- Car and Driver (2011)
Acceleration and Power
The Acura MDX is powered by a 300-horsepower, 3.7-liter V6, which is mated to a six-speed automatic transmission. Critics are generally pleased with the power for accelerating and highway passing. However, some mention that the power is not felt immediately, and it isn’t until the MDX gets moving that it truly feels strong. Reviewers are pleased with the transmission, noting that it changes gears smoothly and at appropriate times. The MDX achieves an EPA-estimated 16/21 mpg city/highway, which is about average for the class, but not outstanding. The MDX can tow up to 5,000 pounds.
- "Acceleration from the 3.7-liter V6 is a little soft until the revs reach the midrange. From there the engine pulls with enthusiasm, while the MDX's six-speed automatic transmission upshifts smoothly." -- Edmunds
- "MDX is a bit pokey from a stop, but power builds steadily thereafter. The standard automatic transmission shifts smoothly and reacts promptly to driver inputs." -- Consumer Guide
Handling and Braking
The MDX comes standard with all-wheel drive, and while it’s not a serious-off-road system, reviewers like the added traction it provides. Critics say that the MDX handles very well, with minimal body lean through turns, and that its ride is comfortable. Little is said about the brakes and steering, though one reviewer said he was pleased with the amount of feedback the steering system provides.
- "In Sport mode, MDX is surprisingly agile, with minimal body lean in fast turns and good steering feel. Still, this enhanced cornering ability is not worth the adjustable suspension's otherwise poor ride control." -- Consumer Guide
- "And even with its taller SUV stance, the MDX remains poised in the curves, thanks in no small part to an advanced all-wheel-drive system that sends power to the outside wheels when cornering. The MDX is fun to drive on dry pavement and sure-footed when the weather hits." -- Edmunds
- "We were also impressed by the MDX's off-road capability." -- Kelley Blue Book
Next Steps: Acura MDX
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Acura MDX
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Acura MDX for sale (2,453 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Acura MDX
- See what others paid for the 2013 Acura MDX
- View Acura MDX Photos
- See Luxury Midsize SUVs rankings