2008 Acura TL Review
The TL is a luxury sedan with a solid combination of comfort and safety on the road. Few cars that are similarly priced offer the same performance.
The 2008 Acura TL continues to ride the momentum created by the 2007's enhanced exterior and performance capabilities. Most auto writers describe the car as a winning combination of sporty performance, good looks and exquisite cabin quality. The biggest nit reviewers list with the TL is the presence of torque steer -- a common problem with front wheel drive cars that causes a tug on the wheel under hard acceleration. Offering a rear- or all-wheel drive option would negate this issue.
A little torque steer doesn't keep the TL off the auto industry's best-picks lists. Forbes lists the TL as one of the "Best Luxury Cars for the Buck," noting the TL is "one of the least expensive cars for running costs at any price." Car and Driver lists the TL's sporty Type-S trim as one of the 10 Quickest Cars of 2008.
The Acura TL is available in two trims: the base TL model and the Type-S, a reviewer-favorite. But if you're thinking of purchasing one, you can wait a little while and probably get a great deal on a 2008 TL. A redesigned Acura TL is to be released soon for 2009, featuring new cabin features and a boosted powertrain. If you're not sold on the Acura TL, consider the rear-wheel drive BMW 3-Series.
- "Once regarded as just a more luxurious version of the Honda Accord, the TL has evolved into a refined sports sedan with wedgy good looks and ample thrust from a 258-hp, 3.2-liter V-6 that is typically Honda smooth and happiest operating at the upper end of its rpm range." -- Car and Driver
- "The TL is a roomy, comfortable, good-looking, sporty and practical car, but it's not as pure as a rear-wheel driver. Even so, the TL is a great car, and the Type-S is a wonderful car." -- Road and Track
- "The 2008 Acura TL Type-S is very fun to drive, but a number of small issues keep it from being a top performer." -- CNET
- "The most sporting TL is again, the Type-S high-performance version. It's stuffed with a 286-hp, 3.5-liter V-6 engine as standard equipment, along with a rear spoiler, a sport suspension, ten-spoke alloy wheels, quad exhaust tips, and other upgrades. -- The Car Connection
- "The Acura TL is a great sedan that deftly combines modern styling, advanced engineering, cutting edge technology and an athletic grace, both in its driving demeanor and appearance." --
- "Acura's midsize TL sedan remains a sporty and luxurious premium sedan with handsome styling, a roomy and thoughtfully designed interior, and engaging performance." -- Forbes