Audi A3 Interior
Test drivers report that the 2016 Audi A3’s cabin has a handsome, contemporary design and luxurious materials. They mention the infotainment system is incredibly user-friendly, but some think it's positioned a bit low on the dashboard. The A3's seats don't have enough head- and legroom for taller occupants, critics say, and the trunk is a little small for the class.
- "Audi has set a high bar with its interiors, with high-style design and immaculate fit and finish." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The A3 Sedan is fitted with a clean, uncluttered dashboard that puts a strong emphasis on function. The highlights include understated styling elements such as chrome-ringed air vents and a simple instrument cluster made up of four analog gauges." -- Left Lane News
- "Unlike the CLA's somewhat disappointing cabin, the A3's zero-gap panel fits and excellent materials give its streamlined interior a true luxury brand ambience, even when modestly equipped. Nicely grained surfaces and the requisite soft-touch surfaces grace the dash and doors." -- Car and Driver (2015)
- "As with other Audis, the interior excels in style and craftsmanship, roomy, refined, and straightforward in its design and layout." -- MSN Autos (2015)
Audi A3 Pictures
The 2016 A3 sedan seats five, while the convertible only seats four. It comes standard with leather upholstery and a 12-way, power-adjustable driver's seat. Optional features include heated front seats, a 12-way, power-adjustable passenger's seat and front sport seats with lateral cushioning. Some critics say the front seats are supportive, although others say they are mounted too high and could use more side bolstering. They write that the rear seats are very small, with little head- and legroom.
- "Not surprisingly, rear-seat accommodations are pretty tight, especially for three passengers." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "A well-bolstered and power-adjustable driver's seat, along with a manually set passenger front seat, furnished good support during our day with the A3." -- Left Lane News (2015)
- "Space is likely to be an issue with the A3. The front seat is mounted a bit high and lacks lateral support, but a more significant issue is the backseat. Though more spacious than the rear seat of a Mercedes CLA-Class, headroom and legroom are limited." -- Edmunds (2015)
- "Once seated, adults and children will find legroom that is seriously compromised. Those over six feet will find headroom an issue, too (your author's head pressed firmly against the padded ceiling). The second row's only salvation is that the large windows and standard glass roof allow a lot of light into the cabin so it doesn't feel claustrophobic. As a full-time family-of-four vehicle, there are much better sedans." -- Autoblog (2015)
The 2016 A3 comes standard with a rearview camera, front and rear parking sensors, a panoramic sunroof, dual-zone automatic climate control, HD Radio, a 10-speaker audio system, satellite radio, Bluetooth and Audi's MMI infotainment system with a retractable display screen. The A3 Cabriolet comes with a soft-top convertible roof that can be raised and lowered at speeds of up to 31 mph. The A3 is available with forward collision warning, active lane keeping assist, adaptive cruise control, push-button start, a 14-speaker Bang & Olufsen audio system, iPod integration and Audi Connect, which uses a 4G cellular data connection to offer a Wi-Fi hot spot and Google Maps navigation. Also available is the MMI Navigation Plus system, which includes voice control and a touchpad that lets you write out your destination with your fingertip.
Auto writers praise the A3's MMI system as one of the best infotainment systems in the class, with modern, straightforward controls and quick response time. However, a few mention the display is positioned a little too low on the dashboard, making it a bit difficult to see all the buttons.
- "We wish the MMI infotainment interface wasn't placed quite so low on the dash though, as it makes it hard to see which button does what until you've learned it by touch." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "A pinkie-thin display screen rises from the dash to brighten the minimalist scheme. It is brimming with features from Audi's latest, blazing-fast MMI system, including a drawing pad, 3D animations, and -- via an AT&T-based Audi Connect system -- the industry's first 4G LTE cellular connection." -- Automobile Magazine (2015 with available MMI Navigation Plus)
- "The latest version of MMI, with its aluminum switches, buttons and dials, is visually clean, and it has intuitive software with controls that are easy to operate by touch. Your author currently considers it the best user interface in the industry." -- Autoblog (2015)
- "As small needn't equate to basic, the A3 includes many of the same luxury items as Audi's more expensive models, including an ultra-thin and retractable MMI display and options like MMI Touch, which lets users input navigation destinations and control other functions via 'handwriting' on a touch pad." -- Left Lane News (2015)
The 2016 Audi A3 has 12.3 cubic feet of trunk space, which is a bit small for the class. All-wheel drive models have 10 cubic feet of space, while convertible models have 9.9 cubic feet of space with the top up and 7.1 cubic feet with the top down. Split-folding rear seatbacks come standard on sedan and convertible models. Most critics say the space is tight, but a few mention that it can fit four small suitcases.
- "Unfortunately, there are side effects to the shrinkage, namely a cramped backseat and a tiny trunk. They are without question the 2015 Audi A3's biggest drawbacks." -- Edmunds (2015)
- "Two wheelie bags pretty much fill the Quattro's shallow space, though the rear seats fold to accommodate more." -- Automobile Magazine (2015)
- "It appeared small, so out of curiosity, we grabbed some luggage to find out just how much it would hold. Surprisingly, the A3 swallowed one 20-inch roller, two 22-inch rollers and one 24-inch roller - luggage for four, and there was still a bit of room left for two small soft bags." -- Autoblog (2015)
Next Steps: Audi A3
- View the best prices for the 2016 Audi A3
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2016 Audi A3
- Search used Audi A3 for sale (1,149 listings)
- See Upscale Small Cars rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals