2012 Audi A4 Wagon Interior
Car reviewers like the materials and design of the 2012 Audi A4 wagon’s interior, but dislike how complex its Multi Media Interface system, which controls audio and climate functions, is.
- "Audi has a reputation for crafting superb interiors, and the 2012 A4 is no exception. "--Kelley Blue Book
- "The A4's real strength lies in its high-quality cabin. Audi makes use of best-in-class materials and a restrained design aesthetic to create a sumptuously modern interior.” --Edmunds
Most reviewers say the A4 Avant's five-passenger cabin is accommodating. Still, some complain that its backseat is uncomfortable.
- "The longer, lower, wider stance results in a commodious cabin, with plenty of rear-seat leg- and headroom for average-size adults." -- Motor Trend
- "We do wish the rear seat were more comfortable and perhaps mounted a bit higher, but it does provide a nice flat load floor when folded and plenty of elbow- and headroom when raised." -- Car and Driver
- "My child-safety seats - a rear-facing infant seat and a forward-facing convertible car seat - fit in just fine in the second row. There was plenty of legroom for the front passenger, even with the rear-facing infant seat. I was able to squeeze between the two car seats, but I wouldn't want to spend hours sitting there." -- Mother Proof
Most auto writers like that the 2012 Audi A4 Avant has a lot of available features, but they complain about the way those features work, especially when it comes to Audi’s Multi Media Interface system, which uses a single knob to control climate and entertainment functions. They call the system confusing and distracting. MMI is standard on the A4 Avant.
- "The gauges are clear and well lit. The tri-zone automatic climate system (optional on A4 and standard on S4) is a bit complex, and its controls are awkwardly low on the dashboard. Audi's MMI control system absorbs most audio and some climate functions, and it is distracting. In all models, the front-center armrest blocks use of the handbrake lever and cupholders."--Consumer Guide
- "Most MMI infotainment functions are conveniently situated around the shift lever on models equipped with the navigation system, but cars without navigation have MMI on the dash, which is far less convenient and user-friendly. Navigation-equipped cars also get the newer, improved version of MMI. The A4's other controls are generally intuitive and well laid out, though accessing certain features can be an exercise in frustration. Adjusting something as simple as the fan speed, for example, is a two-step process."--Edmunds
- -“[F]ew manufacturers can match Audi for interior design and quality -- though I'm not enamored by the MMI, or Multi Media Interface, a console-mounted knob that, similar to BMW's unloved iDrive system, controls various audio and climate functions. You get used to it, but it's not an improvement." -- Orlando Sentinel
- "Audi's engineers have tried to keep important climate and audio controls simple, but some functions, such as selecting the radio band or changing the AC fan speed, require distracting two- and three-step fiddling with a console-mounted central control knob and buttons tied to the dashboard video screen." -- Newsday
- "Audi has made a couple technological improvements as well, resulting in a standard climate-control system that's more efficient, yet provides 10 percent more cooling capacity than the outgoing system's." -- Motor Trend
Audi reports that the A4 Avant provides 17.3 cubic-feet of cargo room. With its rear seats folded, it expands to 50.5 cubic-feet. Not all reviewers are impressed with the space.
- “Fold the Avant's seatbacks down and you've got 51 cubic feet: a useful amount, though it is below average for a wagon because of the Audi's raked rear window."--Edmunds
- "The cargo area is supposed to be bigger, too, although 'Avant' remains Audi-speak for 'sportwagon,' which means you can flip down the rear seat to load skiing gear for two, but two bikes would be better off on a roof rack. There's a reversible cargo floor, with an uncarpeted plastic underside for when you have to haul dirty, messy things, plus grocery-bag hooks in the interior D-pillars, an optional loading kit with rail systems, and optional automatic tailgate and 220-volt socket." -- Motor Trend
Next Steps: Audi A4 Wagon
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Audi A4 Wagon for sale (4,237 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Audi A4 Wagon
- View Audi A4 Wagon Photos
- See Luxury Wagons rankings