2008 Audi A4 Review
This review was written when the 2008 Audi A4 was new.
The A4 is an impressive performance vehicle, particularly when equipped with the available quattro all-wheel-drive system, and it offers a luxurious interior with superior build quality and materials.
Auto reviews say the 2008 Audi A4's refined performance, austere exterior design, top-notch build quality and high-class cabin make it a solid consideration among upscale midsize sedans. In fact, several say the A4's biggest pitfall is it belongs to the same class as the gold standard BMW 3-Series -- although the A4 gets good to very good scores in all our ranked categories, it's attributes aren't distinctive enough to break into the top-five upscale midsize cars for performance, exterior, interior or safety.
The A4 carries over to 2008 virtually unchanged since its last major redesign in 2005. Many reviews praised the sedan during test drives, but since then several of the A4's competitors have experienced redesigns, including the Cadillac CTS and Mercedes Benz C-Class. The 2008 Audi A4 Special Edition will be introduced later this year with various exterior and interior enhancements. The redesigned 2009 Audi A4 is expected in late 2008, and will feature a powertrain similar to the new Audi A5 coupe.
The Audi A4 Cabriolet, a two-door convertible trim, is also available; The A4 Avant, a wagon model, is also ranked and reviewed separately on our site. The A4 sedan is offered in numerous trims.
- "Audi's small sedan continues to be a favorite for its solid feel and elegant styling. It gets top marks in ergonomics and driver-friendly packaging, though it's a bit tight in the back seat. It's not as intense as a BMW 3-Series, but it's far from boring and is plenty good looking." -- Car and Driver
- "With a new A4 on the horizon, we're betting you'll soon be able to find some killer deals on the current model. And for most of us, this soon-to-be "old" A4 has about everything we're looking for in a sporty sedan." -- AutoWeek
- "The 2008 A4 demonstrates Audi's ability to run with the competition when it comes to performance, but the car's imminent cabin-tech upgrade can't come soon enough." -- CNET
- "You'll have to look long and hard to find a car that blends driving satisfaction, safety, convenience, practicality, great finish and reasonable ownership cost as well as the A4." -- New Car Test Drive
- The Detroit News released its review of the then-redesigned A4 in 2005. "For the money, the Acura TL is a better car, and some folks will find the new BMW 3 Series more entertaining. Still, the revamped A4 is a major player in this segment, on a number of fronts." -- Detroit News