Audi A4 Performance
The 2015 Audi A4 offers a better balance of athletic handling and ride comfort than many rivals, according to test drivers. They also like the 2015 A4’s superb fuel economy and robust acceleration.
- "The A4 sedan's powerful yet fuel-efficient turbocharged engine is an Audi hallmark, while the high-performance S4 meshes a supercharged V6 with the company's advanced quattro all-wheel drive (AWD) to create a sports sedan experience like no other." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The performance of both A4 and S4 models makes an enthusiast smile from start to finish." -- Road and Track (2013)
- "A4 adeptly balances around-town maneuverability with sporty road manners." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
- "The A4 is quiet and comfortable on the highway. It eats up miles, as you would expect for a car in this class." -- Motor Trend (2013)
Acceleration and Power
The 2015 Audi A4 comes standard with a 220-horsepower, turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine and a continuously variable transmission (CVT). Models equipped with all-wheel drive are available with a six-speed manual transmission or an eight-speed automatic. According to the EPA, the base A4 gets 24/32 mpg city/highway, which is very good for the class.
The performance-oriented 2015 Audi S4 has a supercharged 3.0-liter V6 engine that produces 333 horsepower and 325 pound-feet of torque. All-wheel drive and a six-speed manual transmission are standard and a seven-speed automated manual is optional. Audi says the S4 has a 155-mph top speed and accelerates from 0 to 60 in 4.9 seconds.
Test drivers say the 2015 A4 has one of the more impressive engines in the class. They write that the base A4 has great fuel economy, ample highway passing power and strong acceleration that can push you into the back of your seat.
- "What the 2015 Audi A4's turbocharged four-cylinder lacks in sonic personality, it makes up for in pleasant, punchy performance. It can still pin you to your seat when you put the gas pedal to the floor, and it offers ample torque for quick bursts of acceleration and highway merges." -- Edmunds
- "The A4's 2.0-liter turbocharged engine is one of our favorites, delivering excellent performance and fuel economy, and teamed to choice of three transmissions: an 8-speed Tiptronic automatic, a 6-speed manual or a Multitronic CVT automatic (front-wheel-drive models only)." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Stand on the gas and the A4 rockets toward redline with no sign of power running out until the car's rev limiter kicks in somewhere north of 6,000 rpm." -- Cars.com (2013)
- "The power comes on smoothly and continues right up to the red line without a stumble." -- Road and Track (2013)
Handling and Braking
The Audi A4 comes standard with front-wheel drive. All-wheel drive is optional on the A4 and standard on the Audi S4. Reviewers report that, unlike many rivals, the 2015 Audi A4 has both a comfortable ride and sporty handling. They add that the A4’s steering feels responsive and that its brakes are reassuringly strong.
- "Some luxury cars offer a ride that is too soft without quick reflexes, while others sacrifice ride comfort for more precise cornering (think BMW 3 Series). But with the 2015 Audi A4 sedan, a seductive balance has been struck." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "In standard form, the A4 is only slightly biased toward sporty and provides a pretty comfortable ride quality. Yet when the road bends, the A4 still feels balanced, secure and athletic." -- Edmunds
- "The steering on the A4 is linear and nicely weighted; it feels similar to the steering on the new BMW 3-series, which is to say not overly talkative, but good nonetheless." -- Car and Driver (2013)
- "The brakes work well and inspire confidence during intense corner-carving." -- Consumer Guide (2013)