Audi A4 Performance
Critics report that the 2016 Audi A4 has a comfortable ride as well as nimble handling when pushed through corners. They say the A4 and S4 both have powerful engines, the steering has good feedback and the brakes feel strong.
- "With many luxury performance sedans, you have a choice between stellar handling but a harsh ride, or a soft ride and boring driving characteristics. The Audi A4 luxury sedan for 2016, however, strikes a perfect balance between the two extremes." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The performance of both A4 and S4 models makes an enthusiast smile from start to finish." -- Road and Track (2013)
- "A4 adeptly balances around-town maneuverability with sporty road manners." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
- "The A4 is quiet and comfortable on the highway. It eats up miles, as you would expect for a car in this class." -- Motor Trend (2013)
Acceleration and Power
The 2016 Audi A4 is powered by a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine that makes 220 horsepower. A continuously variable transmission (CVT) comes standard. A six-speed manual transmission and an eight-speed automatic are available in models with all-wheel drive. The base A4 gets 24/31 mpg city/highway according to the EPA, which is good for the class.
The performance-based Audi S4 comes with a supercharged 3.0-liter V6 engine that produces 333 horsepower and 325 pound-feet of torque. A six-speed manual transmission comes standard and a seven-speed automated manual is available. The S4 has a top speed of 155 mph and accelerates from 0 to 60 in 4.9 seconds, according to Audi.
Test drivers comment that the A4 feels powerful at all speeds, and that it has good punch for accelerating and passing on the highway. They add that the S4 is very engaging to drive, with excellent power.
- "What the A4 does well, the 2016 Audi [S4] sedan does brilliantly. With 333 horsepower powering all four wheels, the S4 delivers a driving experience we find intoxicating." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "What the 2015 Audi A4's turbocharged four-cylinder lacks in sonic personality, it makes up for in pleasant, punchy performance. It can still pin you to your seat when you put the gas pedal to the floor, and it offers ample torque for quick bursts of acceleration and highway merges." -- Edmunds (2015)
- "Stand on the gas and the A4 rockets toward redline with no sign of power running out until the car's rev limiter kicks in somewhere north of 6,000 rpm." -- Cars.com (2013)
- "The power comes on smoothly and continues right up to the red line without a stumble." -- Road and Track (2013)
Handling and Braking
Front-wheel drive comes standard in the Audi A4, and all-wheel drive is available. Reviewers say the A4 delivers a composed, comfortable ride, and that when driven more enthusiastically, its handling is nimble enough to take on winding roads. They add the A4 has communicative steering and that the brakes feel strong.
- "In day-to-day driving, the A4 delivers a comfortable, almost supple ride. Yet, when the road goes from 4-lane highway to winding asphalt ribbon, the A4 is a willing companion that loves to be pushed hard." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "In standard form, the A4 is only slightly biased toward sporty and provides a pretty comfortable ride quality. Yet when the road bends, the A4 still feels balanced, secure and athletic." -- Edmunds (2015)
- "The steering on the A4 is linear and nicely weighted; it feels similar to the steering on the new BMW 3-series, which is to say not overly talkative, but good nonetheless." -- Car and Driver (2013)
- "The brakes work well and inspire confidence during intense corner-carving." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
Next Steps: Audi A4
- View the best prices for the 2016 Audi A4
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2016 Audi A4
- Search used Audi A4 for sale (6,458 listings)
- See Upscale Small Cars rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals