Audi A5 Review
The 2015 Audi A5 ranks 4 out of 14 Upscale Small Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Audi A5, as well as reliability and safety data.
Automotive journalists report the 2015 Audi A5 has nimble handling and an eye-catching cabin, but some say the infotainment system is perplexing and frustrating to operate.
The 2015 A5 comes with a turbocharged four-cylinder engine that delivers lively acceleration, according to reviewers, though some note other cars in the class are more powerful. Test drivers say the six- and eight-cylinder engines that come in the performance-oriented S5 and RS 5 models are particularly strong. The Audi A5 comes standard with all-wheel drive and a six-speed manual transmission, and an eight-speed automatic is optional. The 2015 Audi A5 gets up to an EPA-estimated 22/31 mpg city/highway, which is good for the class. Though it can’t quite match the performance of a sports car, critics say the Audi A5 is still a pleasure to drive, with composed handling, strong brakes and a smooth ride.
Critics are impressed with the 2015 Audi A5's handsome cabin and high-end materials. The front seats are spacious and comfortable, they say, but some like the available sport seats better for the additional support they provide during cornering. Automotive writers say that taller adults sitting in the A5's rear seats will find headroom lacking. Reviewers do like that the A5 Cabriolet’s top doesn’t take up any trunk space when it’s lowered. Standard features include leather upholstery, tri-zone automatic climate control, a panoramic sunroof, Bluetooth phone connectivity, a 10-speaker audio system, satellite radio, iPod connectivity and Audi’s MMI infotainment system, which includes a 6.5-inch display. Available features include heated front seats, parking sensors, a rearview camera, adaptive cruise control, blind spot monitoring, push-button start, a 14-speaker Bang & Olufsen sound system and an upgraded MMI system with navigation and Audi Connect, which provides Internet access through a cellular data connection (subscription required). Some automotive journalists say the A5’s standard MMI infotainment system complicates audio and climate adjustments. As a result, they recommend upgrading to the MMI system with navigation, which they think is easier to use.
- "The A5 is the stylish coupe companion to Audi's compact A4 luxury sedan. Also available in performance focused S5 and RS5 models and drop-top A5 Cabriolet form, its strengths include a swanky interior, composed handling and the four seasons capability of quattro all-wheel-drive." -- Left Lane News
- "With its pleasant driving demeanor, inviting cabin and sophisticated style, the 2015 Audi A5 is worthy of your attention." -- Edmunds
- "A5 won't give the Porsche Boxster or Cayman a run for their money, but it's still a luxurious and dynamically capable car. If you're shopping the BMW 1-Series, Cadillac CTS coupe, or the Infiniti Q60 Coupe or Q60 Convertible, put the A5 on your list." -- Consumer Guide
- "Many buyers will lean towards the Audi purely for the all-wheel drive; some will fall for the styling; but likely none will be disappointed." -- Motor Trend (2013)
Audi A5 Pictures & Videos
Other Cars to Consider
The BMW 428i gets better fuel economy than the A5, and reviewers write that it has surprisingly strong acceleration. They also love its athletic handling and classy, well-built interior.
The all-new Cadillac ATS Coupe has a lower starting price than the A5, and critics report that it’s one of the sharpest-handling cars in the class. The ATS Coupe’s comfortable ride and top-notch cabin materials also earn praise from test drivers.
Details: 2015 Audi A5
The 2015 Audi A5 seats four and comes in Coupe and Cabriolet body styles. The A5 is available in Premium, Premium Plus and Prestige trims and comes standard with a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine, a six-speed manual transmission and all-wheel drive. An eight-speed automatic transmission is available. The Audi A5 has not been fully redesigned since its debut for the 2008 model year. Since it sees no major changes for 2015, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2008 through 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Audi A5
- View the best prices for the 2015 Audi A5
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Audi A5
- Search used Audi A5 for sale (1,156 listings)
- See Upscale Small Cars rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals