Audi A5 Review
The 2016 Audi A5 ranks 7 out of 14 Upscale Small Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Audi A5, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2016 Audi A5 gets excellent fuel economy and reviewers like its top-notch cabin and composed handling, but say it lacks the agility of some rivals and that its infotainment system is tricky to use.
With its base turbocharged four-cylinder engine, reviewers write that the 2016 A5 has plenty of power but isn't especially quick. For greater speed, they recommend stepping up to the sport-oriented S5, which has a supercharged V6. A manual transmission is standard and an automatic is available. Fuel economy, at an EPA-estimated 22/32 mpg city/highway, is excellent for the class. Test drivers write that the A5 rides comfortably and has adept handling, but lacks the athleticism of some rivals.
According to auto journalists, the 2016 Audi A5 has a handsome cabin built with first-rate materials. They find the front seats comfortable and comment that the available sport seats offer better side support. Reviewers say the rear seats are cramped, as is the case with most coupes and convertibles. The A5 has a good amount of trunk space for a coupe, and reviewers appreciate that the cabriolet's folding soft top takes up minimal trunk space. Bluetooth phone connectivity, HD Radio, satellite radio, a panoramic sunroof and the MMI infotainment system are standard. Optional features include Bluetooth audio streaming, a rearview camera, blind spot monitoring, rear parking sensors, a Bang & Olufsen audio system and navigation. Several auto journalists comment that MMI is tricky to learn and operate, though a few note that it is easier to use in models with navigation.
- "The A5 is the stylish coupe companion to Audi's compact A4 luxury sedan. Also available in performance focused S5 … and drop-top A5 Cabriolet form, its strengths include a swanky interior, composed handling and the four seasons capability of quattro all-wheel-drive." -- Left Lane News
- "The Audi A5 and its siblings are luxury cars and thus aren't cheap. Additionally, they're not alone, and similarly sized and priced coupes from BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Lexus, Cadillac and others make compelling cases for themselves." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "With its pleasant driving demeanor, inviting cabin and sophisticated style, the 2015 Audi A5 is worthy of your attention." -- Edmunds (2015)
Audi A5 Pictures & Videos
Other Cars to Consider
The BMW 4-Series is praised for its athletic handling and lineup of powerful engines. Critics report that the base 428i has plenty of power and say the 4-Series' iDrive infotainment system is easy to use.
Similar to the A5, test drivers write that the Lexus RC has agile handling and a comfortable, quiet ride. The RC also has premium cabin materials and supportive front seats, according to auto journalists.
Details: 2016 Audi A5
The 2016 Audi A5 seats four and comes in coupe and cabriolet (convertible) body styles. The A5 is available in Premium, Premium Plus and Prestige trims and comes standard with a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine and all-wheel drive, with either a six-speed manual transmission or an eight-speed automatic. The performance-oriented S5 is powered by a supercharged 3.0-liter V6 and comes in Premium Plus and Prestige trims. The Audi A5 has not been fully redesigned since its debut for the 2008 model year, and aside from the discontinuation of the RS5, sees few changes for 2016. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2008 through 2016 model years.
Next Steps: Audi A5
- View the best prices for the 2016 Audi A5
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2016 Audi A5
- Search used Audi A5 for sale (1,156 listings)
- See Upscale Small Cars rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals