Audi A5 Performance
Test drivers agree that the 2016 Audi A5 delivers a comfortable ride and controlled handling, though they say it isn't the most athletic car on the block. Reviewers note that the base A5 has plenty of power but say it isn't especially quick, advising that the six-cylinder S5 feels much more potent.
- "The experience of driving a 2016 Audi A5 or Audi S5 starts the moment you get inside and get comfortable. Whether you choose the fixed-roof A5 Coupe or drop-top A5 Cabriolet, all models reward you with excellent balance, poise and a comfortable ride." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Overall, the A5 is a pleasure to drive; it's only the power deficit that holds it back." -- AutoTrader (2014)
- "Though these cars are certainly more GTs than sports cars, they won't leave you wanting when driven simply for enjoyment." -- Motor Trend (2013)
Acceleration and Power
The Audi A5 is powered by a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine that makes 220 horsepower. Coupe models come with a standard six-speed manual transmission or an optional eight speed automatic. Convertible models only come with the automatic. Fuel economy for the 2016 A5 with a manual transmission is an EPA-estimated 22/32 mpg city/highway, which is excellent for a luxury sports coupe. The S5 is powered by a supercharged 3.0-liter V6 that produces 333 horsepower and 325 pound-feet of torque. It has a six-speed manual or seven-speed dual-clutch (automatic) transmission.
Test drivers write that the A5 has plenty of power but doesn't feel incredibly fast. They say the S5 offers ample power if you're looking for a car that can deliver blistering acceleration.
- "It's a good day when the 'base' engine is the 2.0-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder that's standard in the Audi A5. With 220 smooth horsepower, standard quattro AWD, and your choice of a 6-speed automatic or an 8-speed automatic with Tiptronic manual control, it's no penalty box. However, we're particularly fond of the 3.0-liter supercharged V6 in the Audi S5, with its 333 horsepower and 325 lb-ft of torque." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Though its turbocharged 4-cylinder engine isn't the fastest mill out there, it still can provide an invigorating driving experience." -- Consumer Guide (2015)
- "Although it doesn't offer the speed or sound of rival six-cylinder engines, the A5's turbocharged four-cylinder engine provides respectable acceleration and above-average real-world fuel economy. Its power deficit only really disappoints at speeds you shouldn't be reaching on public roads anyway." -- Edmunds (2015)
Handling and Braking
Both the 2016 Audi A5 coupe and cabriolet come standard with all-wheel drive. Reviewers say the A5 rides comfortably, though they caution that models with the optional 19-inch wheels have a less-than-comfortable ride. They praise the A5's composed handling, especially with the available sport suspension, and are happy with the A5’s steering and brakes. However, a few mention that it isn't the most athletic car available. Test drivers add that the A5 feels glued to the road and secure in inclement weather thanks to its all-wheel drive.
- "The A5 boasts responsive handling thanks to an engine placement behind the front wheels, resulting in better weight distribution than any existing Audi (aside from the mid-engine R8)." -- Left Lane News
- "Ride, handling, braking, steering and over-the-road manners are everything you might expect, and Audi's quattro all-wheel drive (AWD) makes short work of inclement weather." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Though it's not a sports car, the 2015 Audi A5 has a taut, crisp feel on the road, combining impressive body control and a pleasant ride quality with trusty year-round traction from the all-wheel-drive system." -- Edmunds (2015)
- "Handling is good in standard form and excellent with the Sport package's sport-tuned suspension, while the ride remains supple unless you get the optional 19-in wheels, which we wouldn't advise." -- AutoTrader (2014)
Next Steps: Audi A5
- View the best prices for the 2016 Audi A5
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2016 Audi A5
- Search used Audi A5 for sale (1,156 listings)
- See Upscale Small Cars rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals