2008 Audi A6 Wagon Review
This review was written when the 2008 Audi A6 Wagon was new.
The A6 Avant has the upscale looks and refined cabin of a luxury vehicle, blended with the practicality of a wagon for carrying cargo. But none of its attributes are overly distinctive in the luxury wagon class.
With outstanding looks, a posh and practical cabin, as well as adequate power, the 2008 Audi A6 Avant is a good luxury wagon. And these days, many are looking at wagons as an alternative to gas-thirsty SUVs. Several say the A6 wagon's worse trait is that not one of these qualities is distinctive enough to stand out in an upscale class. Some reviews note choosing the A6 Avant is not a matter of its superiority, but rather one of preference. The Washington Post says most luxury wagon shoppers are not interested in abundant power, but rather "getting where they are going safely, comfortably, enjoyably and in as much style as they can afford. The A6 Avant is abundantly endowed with these attributes."
The A6 Avant's full name is the A6 Avant 3.2 Quattro. Featuring a V6 engine with 255 horsepower and all-wheel drive, it is the only trim offered for this model. If you're shopping for a luxury wagon, consider the BMW 3-Series Wagon. If you're interested in an Audi wagon but want something smaller, keep in mind the A4 Avant.
- "The Audi wagon had us at 'Hello.'" -- Washington Post
- "The most practical version of Audi's A6, the 3.2 Quattro wagon, comes with more than double the cargo space of the sedan's trunk and adds cargo-hauling concessions like dividers and a stowable tray. It's a good-looking wagon, but it falls short of the BMW 5-series dynamically." -- Car and Driver
- "If you're idea of luxury transportation combines sport and utility -- and you don't want a truck -- the Audi A6 Avant quattro deserves your consideration." -- Motor Trend
- "One of the most stylish premium wagons on the planet. … Luxury and utility can neatly come together in a sleek package that can make your visit to the gas pumps an event and not a habit." -- Motor Picks
- "The A6 Avant is such a fine vehicle that I actually looked forward to driving it. Everywhere and anywhere. It made shopping trips fun and made commuting to work enjoyable." -- The Express-Times