2013 Audi A7 Performance
The Audi A7 wows reviewers with competent handling, a refined engine and standard quattro all-wheel drive. Despite its size, one critic says that the A7 still feels athletic on a twisty road, while another test driver writes that the A7 is a quick and comfortable super luxury car.
- "Only the S7's sheer size will keep most drivers from pushing it on narrow country roads like a sports car." -- Car and Driver (Audi S7)
- "For a fairly large car, A7 is surprisingly nimble and sporty. Ample grip and minimal body lean in fast corners inspire confidence." -- Consumer Guide
- "This engine also sounds fantastic -- smooth with just a hint of snarl -- and returns respectable fuel economy as well." -- Edmunds
- "The A7 drives very well, too. The supercharged 3.0-liter V-6 and eight-speed automatic make it nicely quick, and the car rides comfortably and quietly." -- Automobile Magazine (2012)
Acceleration and Power
The 2013 Audi A7 is powered by a supercharged 3.0-liter V6 that produces 310 horsepower. An eight-speed automatic transmission and all-wheel drive are standard. The A7 gets an EPA-estimated 18/28 mpg city/highway, which is slightly better than all-wheel drive rivals like the Infiniti M37x, but not quite as good as the Mercedes-Benz E350 4MATIC.
The high-performance Audi S7 is new for 2013, and is powered by a twin-turbocharged 4.0-liter V8 engine that generates 420 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and 406 pound-feet of torque at 1,400 rpm. A seven-speed automated manual transmission and all-wheel drive are standard. Audi says that the S7 has a top speed of 155 mph, and that it accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in 4.5 seconds.
Reviewers are pleased with the A7’s supercharged V6, saying that it provides plenty of power. One reviewer points out that the A7 is just as quick as V8-powered cars like the Dodge Challenger R/T, while others note that the refined automatic transmission makes excellent use of the engine’s power.
- "Audi's 3.0-liter supercharged V6 works as well here as it does in the A6. Power is strong at all engine speeds, aided by the responsive 8-speed automatic transmission." -- Consumer Guide
- "The 2013 Audi A7 is another showcase for Audi's excellent supercharged 3.0-liter engine. Low-end power is abundant and readily available thanks to the responsive throttle and quick-acting eight-speed automatic transmission." -- Edmunds
- "Utilizing an excellent supercharged 3.0-liter V6, a smooth-shifting 8-speed automatic transmission and standard quattro AWD, the 2013 Audi A7 dishes up rapid acceleration for passing, merging or just increasing one's heart rate." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The 3.0-liter supercharged V-6 is a major part of this refinement. … the A7's motivator gives you no indication it can run a quarter-mile as fast as a Dodge Challenger R/T. But it can." -- Motor Trend (2012)
Handling and Braking
Test drivers are pleased with the A7’s composed handling and strong brakes. Additionally, some note that accurate steering makes the A7 more enjoyable to drive than cars built by BMW. While one reviewer says that the A7 provides a comfortable ride, another writes that opting for the available 20-inch wheels makes the A7’s ride a little harsh. As a result, he suggests sticking with the 18-inch wheels that come as standard equipment.
- "We were pleasantly surprised by the electromechanical steering. Once again, Audi has done a better job than BMW in this area." -- Car and Driver (Audi S7)
- "The steering gives good feedback. The brakes provide plenty of control." -- Consumer Guide
- "In our testing, we found the A7's ride to be firm and a bit too lively with the available 20-inch tires, which offer minimal compliance from their narrow sidewalls. Staying with the 18-inch tires might be a good idea if a comfortable ride quality is a priority for you." -- Edmunds
- "Once up to speed the A7 is a very stable, quiet and comfortable long-distance cruiser. Audi's 4-door coupe also plays well with serpentine roads, rewarding the driver with precise steering and high cornering limits." -- Kelley Blue Book