2013 Audi A8 Interior
This interior review was written when the 2013 Audi A8 was new.
Reviewers are generally pleased with the passenger space, cutting-edge cabin electronics and high-quality materials found inside the 2013 Audi A8. They note that the build quality is among the best in the industry, and that the wide range of available leather, wood and aluminum trim sets a benchmark among flagship sedans.
- "As Audi's flagship, the 2013 A8 represents the best that the company has to offer. With the best materials combined with impeccable craftsmanship, the cabin is one of the finest in any flagship luxury sedan." -- Edmunds
- "Our car's interior was trimmed in leather and Alcantara described as Nougat Brown in color, and fit and finish was of flagship quality." -- Motor Trend
- "The choices of leather, wood and soft-touch trim pieces fall together in a way unmatched by cars costing twice as much." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Inside, the S8 is sumptuously dressed, with quilted, 22-way diamond-pattern sport seats, and Alcantara on the door panels and headliner." -- Popular Mechanics
The comfortable seats and roomy accommodations inside the A8 earn high marks from almost all reviewers who’ve driven it. The standard leather front seats are comfortable, heated and power-adjustable, but most reviewers have driven an A8 with the optional Premium package, which includes heated and ventilated front seats with a massage function. Seating options and features on higher trims include a heated steering wheel, power-adjustable rear seats with a fixed center console, heated rear seats and a reclining rear seat with a power footrest.
- "The highlight, though, is the 22-way adjustable sport seats for the driver and passenger with heating, ventilation, and massage capability." -- Automobile Magazine
- "As you'd expect, comfort is a priority and the A8 delivers it in heaping portions. The upgraded seats found in the Comfort package adjust in so many ways that Audi needed to invent a more advanced means of controlling them, and they ultimately ensure that drivers of any size or shape will find an optimal position to motor away countless miles." -- Edmunds
- "The front seats are unusually comfortable and there's plenty of foot, knee, and head room in the rear seat." -- BusinessWeek (2011)
The 2013 Audi A8 comes with standard features that include a sunroof, power-folding side mirrors, dual-zone automatic climate control, navigation and a Bose 14-speaker stereo system with HD and satellite radio, an in-dash DVD player and Bluetooth phone and audio connectivity. A six-month subscription to Audi Connect is also included, which uses a SIM card to provide wireless Internet access. Audi Connect can also be used to get news, traffic and weather updates, and the navigation system can use the Internet connection to display Google Earth views. Options and features available on higher trims include a power trunk lid, power-closing doors, four-zone automatic climate control, power rear and rear-side sunshades, a panoramic sunroof, a rear-seat refrigerator, a rear-seat entertainment system, adaptive cruise control, front and rear parking sensors with a top and corner view camera system, a 19-speaker Bang & Olufsen sound system and blind spot monitoring and land departure warning systems.
The A8 earns rave reviews for its cutting-edge interior tech. One test driver says the A8’s navigation system is one of the best available, while others praise Audi’s MMI infotainment system. MMI features a knob that you can use to select audio, navigation and vehicle settings, as well as a touchpad on the center console. Test drivers love the touchpad, which lets you write out destinations or select audio settings with your finger.
- "The unique remote touchpad (upon which you can ‘write’ numbers and letters with your finger) also doubles as a radio preset panel. It may seem like a superfluous novelty at first, but it turns out to be as useful as it is cool." -- Edmunds
- "The heat/vent/air-conditioning and radio controls on the dash are elegantly displayed and logically placed, and the MMI touch pad is intuitively located for the driver's convenience." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The Google Maps nav system is among the best in the industry." -- Popular Mechanics
- "Putting the navigation system into destination entry mode, we were able to bypass Audi's inefficient rotary alphanumeric input and trace letters on the touch pad. We found it very easy to keep our eyes on the road while entering letters and numbers, with the system offering verbal confirmation for each input." -- CNET (2011)
While reviewers say that the A8’s cabin has ample storage for small items, its 13.2 cubic feet of trunk space is less than what you’ll find in many super luxury cars. If you need more cargo space, consider competitors like the Mercedes-Benz S-Class and Porsche Panamera, which offer 16.4 and 15.7 cubic feet of cargo space, respectively.
- "If there's one complaint that seems to come up more than others, it would be the A8's lack of trunk space. At a paltry 13.2 cubic feet, cargo capacity is far below that of its competitors and not nearly adequate to accommodate luggage for four adults." -- Edmunds
- "Above-par interior storage includes large bins and small covered cubbies in the doors, and a deep center-console box beneath twin height-adjustable armrests." -- Consumer Guide (2012)
- "The only packaging penalty is cargo space: when I popped the powered lid I was surprised at the modest trunk within. At 13.2 cubic feet, the A8’s trunk trails not only its main competitors, but is about 3 cubic feet shy of the smaller Audi A6 sedan." -- The New York Times (2011)