Audi A8 Performance
The 2015 Audi A8 has several powerful, fuel-efficient engine options, according to critics, who add that the A8 is uncommonly nimble for such a large sedan.
- "The 2015 Audi A8 offers an excellent balance between plush luxury cruiser and potent sports sedan." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "As with other luxury sedans in this class, the A8 provides ample power throughout the lineup, but it stands out for its appeal as a driver's car. Thanks to standard all-wheel drive, the A8 is blessed with confident road manners and tenacious grip on a winding mountain road." -- Edmunds
- "The 2014 Audi A8 has emerged as the driver's choice among full-size luxury sedans, and there are two reasons for that. First of all, the A8 feels lighter and more responsive than its rivals, and its standard quattro all-wheel drive provides tenacious grip in corners." -- AutoTrader (2014)
- "Its aluminum-intensive construction allows the big Audi to waft along the road feeling much lighter, smaller, and more tossable than any full-size luxury sedan has a right to." -- Motor Trend (2013)
Acceleration and Power
The 2015 Audi A8 3.0T comes with a 333-horsepower, supercharged 3.0-liter V6 engine, while the 4.0T has a 435-horsepower, twin-turbocharged 4.0-liter V8. A8 L models are also available with a 240-horsepower, turbodiesel 3.0-liter V6 or a 500-horsepower, 6.3-liter 12-cylinder engine. An eight-speed automatic transmission is standard. The base A8 gets an EPA-estimated 19/29 mpg city/highway, which is good for the class. The turbodiesel A8 L gets 24/36, which is better than the fuel economy of most super luxury cars.
The performance-oriented 2015 Audi S8 comes with a twin-turbocharged 4.0-liter V8 engine that makes 520 horsepower and 481 pound-feet of torque. An eight-speed automatic transmission is standard. According to Audi, the 2015 S8 accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in 3.9 seconds and has a top speed of 155 mph.
The A8 3.0T delivers plenty of power, according to critics, but the 4.0T, which gets almost the same fuel economy, offers even more impressive acceleration. Test drivers like the diesel model’s strong passing power.
- "Considering the V8 engine's abundance of power and its nearly identical fuel economy estimates to the V6, it's our preference among the gasoline-powered A8 models. Either engine is perfectly capable in terms of acceleration and braking, but the V8 gets up to speed and passes slower traffic with a flood of power and minimal effort. The same holds true for the diesel-powered A8 TDI, thanks to its wealth of torque." -- Edmunds
- "Still, the most recommendable engine is Audi's 3.0-liter turbodiesel. It has loads of torque, little to no turbo lag and class-leading fuel economy." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The supercharged V6 is remarkably potent for such a small motor, while the turbodiesel V6 isn't much slower and delivers exceptional fuel economy. The twin-turbo V8 is the stuff of dreams for those who appreciate both speed and subtlety -- it's strong, smooth and utterly seductive." -- AutoTrader (2014)
Handling and Braking
With responsive steering and excellent traction from its standard all-wheel drive system, automotive journalists report that the 2015 Audi A8 handles with incredible agility. They also note that the standard adjustable suspension system allows the A8 to balance its cornering prowess with a very comfortable ride. The adjustable suspension can be set to Comfort, Dynamic (sport) or Automatic modes.
- "The A8 is fitted as standard with a full air suspension that contributes to the expected pillowy ride but also provides unusually deft handling." -- Left Lane News
- "All 2015 Audi A8s come with all-wheel drive that provides high levels of cornering prowess and surefootedness on slick roads. Furthermore, the well-tuned suspension and intuitive steering response allow the big sedan to corner like a much smaller car." -- Edmunds
- "With the push of a button, drivers can choose from a sofa-soft Comfort mode, performance-tuned Dynamic setting, or an Automatic mode that alters suspension damping to suit driving conditions." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "First of all, the A8 feels lighter and more responsive than its rivals, and its standard quattro all-wheel drive provides tenacious grip in corners." -- AutoTrader (2014)
Next Steps: Audi A8
- View the best prices for the 2015 Audi A8
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Audi A8
- Search used Audi A8 for sale (1,000 listings)
- See Super Luxury Cars rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals