Audi Allroad Performance
Reviewers say that while the 2014 Audi Allroad is not a sport sedan, it still delivers athletic performance with a powerful engine, as well as a refined transmission, a composed ride and communicative steering.
- "While we can't say the 2014 Audi Allroad delivers the same kind of thrills one gets behind the wheels of an A7 or S4, it still delivers a driving experience far above the average compact SUV." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "At our test track, we were impressed with the Allroad's on-road ability. The consensus among testers: ‘This is a wagon. Once you get in this thing, it has all the performance of an A4 Avant.’" -- Motor Trend (2013)
- "The new Allroad has an excellent drivetrain mated to a suspension with a sporty but not punishing character." -- Popular Mechanics (2013)
Acceleration and Power
The 2014 Audi Allroad has a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine that makes 220 horsepower, which is paired with an eight-speed automatic transmission. All-wheel drive is standard. The Allroad gets an EPA-estimated 20/27 mpg city/highway, which is less than what competitors like the BMW 3-Series Sports Wagon get.
Critics agree that the Allroad’s turbocharged four-cylinder engine has plenty of power. One reviewer says that while the Allroad doesn’t have the most exhilarating engine available, the turbocharged four-cylinder still makes merging onto the highway an easy endeavor. The eight-speed transmission is praised for shifting quickly and smoothly. However, one automotive journalist complains about the Allroad’s unexceptional fuel economy.
- "Other than unremarkable fuel economy, we like everything about the Allroad's familiar powertrain. The renowned 2.0T engine is matched with a smooth-shifting 8-speed automatic routing power to all four wheels via Quattro all-wheel drive." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The 2014 Audi Allroad's turbocharged four-cylinder may not be the most thrilling or aurally pleasing engine in the world, but it can still pin you to your seat when you put the gas pedal to the floor. Ample torque allows for quick bursts of acceleration around town and stress-free merging onto highways." -- Edmunds
- "Don't think the smaller engine makes this 3891-pound wagon pokey, either. All 258 lb-ft of torque smacks home at just past initial throttle, 1500 rpm." -- Popular Mechanics (2013)
- "The gear changes snap off quickly and the engine revs smoothly, with just a hint of snarl." -- Popular Mechanics (2013)
Handling and Braking
Most reviewers say the 2014 Audi Allroad has composed handling, although one critic notices some body lean when cornering. Another reviewer compliments the Allroad’s smooth ride quality. The steering draws praise because it is light, yet it provides good feedback, and one test driver notes that the Allroad’s small turning circle makes it easy to maneuver. One reviewer says the brakes are strong, if slightly squishy. Another test driver writes that the Allroad’s high ground clearance and standard all-wheel drive make it a great performer in poor weather conditions.
- "Handling is easy and agreeable, and the Allroad delivers the smooth ride quality that well-heeled city dwellers and suburbanites will expect." -- Edmunds
- "During our test drive, Mother Nature threw the book at us, delivering relentless downpours and wind gusts as we made our way through a narrow Colorado mountain pass. During all of it, the Allroad simply did its job. We were not able to take the Allroad off-road, and Audi doesn't recommend you do, but it was nice to know that the 7.1-inches of ground clearance and standard quattro AWD would probably be enough to get us through snow, mud and unpaved logging roads if need be." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The steering feels taut and builds in effort as the wheel is turned. It is light yet communicative. The Allroad handles with some body lean, but it does not detract from the driving experience. The brakes are strong, but have a slightly mushy pedal feel and take just slightly more effort than one would expect." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
- "While steering may feel a little light for enthusiasts, the Allroad will read as easy and effortless for the average consumer. The Allroad's 37.7-foot turning circle will contribute to ease of use in the city as well as parking lots or carpool lanes." -- Cars.com
Next Steps: Audi Allroad
- View the best prices for the 2014 Audi Allroad
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Audi Allroad
- Search used Audi Allroad for sale (1,042 listings)
- See Wagons rankings