2013 Audi Q5 Hybrid
Not Yet Ranked
Audi Q5 Hybrid Performance
Though the 2013 Audi Q5 Hybrid hasn't been heavily reviewed, those car critics who have driven it like its performance. They say it has good acceleration, sporty handling and none of the performance hiccups that plague most hybrids. However, its fuel economy leaves some reviewers disappointed.
- "Most impressive about the Q5 Hybrid is that it doesn't burden the driver with many of the common inconveniences we've come to expect from many such vehicles." -- Motor Trend
- -"With just 2 mpg better on the highway than the gasoline model, we don't think of the 2013 Audi Q5 Hybrid as all that green." -- The Chicago Tribune
Acceleration and Power
The 2013 Audi Q5 Hybrid combines a four-cylinder engine with an electric motor to make 245 horsepower. The electric motor can power the SUV on its own for short distances and at slow speeds. An eight-speed automatic transmission is standard. Most hybrids use a CVT, but reviewers like that the Q5 Hybrid has a more conventional transmission. According to the EPA, the Q5 Hybrid gets 24/30 mpg city/highway.
Reviewers who have driven the 2013 Audi Q5 Hybrid say its acceleration is strong, especially for a hybrid. However, a few question if its fuel economy can justify the added expense compared with the gas-only model.
- "This is the brand's first hybrid, but it doesn't drive like a first effort. The powertrain works seamlessly. You really have to listen to catch the gasoline engine shutting down or restarting, and the regenerative brakes are natural feeling and easy to modulate." -- Automobile Magazine
- "We couldn't verify the motor's operational range on our short drive, but we did find the blending of electric and gas-electric operation to be as seamless as anything we've sampled." -- Car and Driver
- "The Audi Q5 hybrid offers a smooth transition between its electric motor and gasoline engine, but with mileage estimates of 24 mpg city/30 highway, it's not that much more miserly than 4-cylinder Q5 models, which begin about $15,000 less than the admittedly loaded hybrid version." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "It comes equipped with a 2.0-liter, turbocharged engine and an electric motor and battery pack to provide a combined output of 245 horsepower and 354 pounds-feet of torque. We love the acceleration this provides." -- The Chicago Tribune
Handling and Braking
Compared with most hybrids, reviewers say that the 2013 Audi Q5 Hybrid has excellent brakes. Reviewers also say that the Q5 Hybrid has a sporty ride that makes it more engaging than most hybrids.
- "The chassis blends a comfortable ride with a sporty demeanor in the way we expect a sports sedan to." -- Car and Driver
- "We were also impressed by the Q5 Hybrid's brakes, which showed none of the two-stage brake action, poor feel, or grabbiness we've experienced in other hybrid vehicles, including the VW Group's own Porsche Cayenne S Hybrid. Instead, brake response feels much as it does in a conventional vehicle, with good response and modulation." -- Motor Trend
- "The ride in the Q5 is definitely on the sporty side." -- The Chicago Tribune