Audi Q5 Review
The 2016 Audi Q5 ranks 5 out of 17 Luxury Compact SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Audi Q5, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2016 Audi Q5 is ranked:
The 2016 Audi Q5 provides enjoyable driving dynamics, powerful engine options and a luxurious cabin, but some drivers may find its ride too harsh, reviewers say.
With its standard turbocharged four-cylinder engine, reviewers say the 2016 Audi Q5 has plenty of power to get up to highway speeds with ease. Available engines include a supercharged V6 and a turbodiesel V6. Although they're impressed with the Q5's range of powerful engines, some say the base engine provides the best combination of power and fuel economy, while others prefer the added power of the optional engines. All models come with an eight-speed automatic transmission that auto writers say shifts smoothly. The EPA estimates that the base 2016 Q5 earns 20/28 mpg city/highway, which is average for the class. Reviewers commend the all-wheel drive Audi Q5 for its athletic handling, noting that it takes on corners with ease and has more enjoyable driving dynamics than most rivals. Still, test drivers point out that its ride quality can be jarring over rough patches of road. A few also note that it can feel heavy and exhibit some understeer.
According to reviewers, the 2016 Audi Q5 has an elegant cabin that features top-notch materials. The Audi Q5's front and rear seats are roomy, and reviewers also like the flexibility of the sliding and reclining rear seats. A few test drivers point out that competitors' front seats offer more options for seat adjustability, but the tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel will help drivers find a comfortable position. Standard features include tri-zone automatic climate control, a 10-speaker audio system, Bluetooth phone connectivity, a panoramic sunroof, satellite radio and Audi’s MMI infotainment system with a 6.5-inch color display screen. Options include adaptive cruise control, a rearview camera, front and rear parking sensors, blind spot monitoring, a 14-speaker Bang & Olufsen stereo, an upgraded MMI system with navigation and Bluetooth audio connectivity and Audi Connect, which provides Wi-Fi for up to eight devices and allows the navigation system to access and display Google Earth images. Most auto writers say the MMI and Audi Connect systems are straightforward, but a few say there's a bit of a learning curve. On models not equipped with navigation, some reviewers say the MMI system's buttons and knobs are hard to reach, and a few also don't like that adjusting the climate system’s fan speed takes multiple steps. With 57.3 cubic feet, the Audi Q5's cargo capacity is just above average for the segment.
- "If you want a 5-passenger do-anything SUV, but crave luxurious surroundings, there's a good chance the 2015 Audi Q5 lineup has just the right vehicle for you. Excellent resale values help offset the high cost of purchase." -- Kelley Blue Book (2015)
- "Positioned below Audi's three-row Q7 crossover, the compact Q5 utility has space for five passengers in a stylish and well-appointed interior. It also offers a quartet of strong engines options that should suite the tastes of nearly all buyers." -- Left Lane News (2015)
- "Audi's approach to building premium vehicles is familiar by now: Satisfy segment standards, then add healthy doses of style, cabin quality and powertrain excellence. The 2015 Audi Q5 crossover could serve as Exhibit A." -- Edmunds (2015)
- "There are small drawbacks, of course, including so-so performance from the base 2.0-liter 4-cylinder engine. Nonetheless, we're definitely in Audi's corner on this one. It's a good thing the competition isn't sleeping, because Audi seems determined to make the Q5 better with each passing year." -- AutoTrader (2015)
Audi Q5 Pictures & Videos
Other SUVs to Consider
The Acura RDX offers composed handling and a comfortable, quiet ride, reviewers agree. Test drivers report that its V6 engine provides quick acceleration from a stop. Additionally, they say its rear seat is especially roomy for the class.
According to reviewers, the BMW X3 offers sporty handling and has powerful engine options. The X3 also earns slightly better fuel economy estimates than the Q5. Test drivers note that the X3 has plenty of cabin and cargo space and a user-friendly infotainment system.
Details: 2016 Audi Q5
The 2016 Audi Q5 seats five and comes standard with all-wheel drive. The Q5 is available in several trims, ranging from the base Q5 2.0T Premium with a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine to the top-of-the-line SQ5 Prestige with a supercharged 3.0-liter V6 engine. A hybrid and turbodiesel model are also available. All models come standard with an eight-speed automatic transmission. The Audi Q5 sees few changes since its redesign for the 2009 model year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2009 through 2016 model years.
Next Steps: Audi Q5
- View the best prices for the 2016 Audi Q5
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2016 Audi Q5
- Search used Audi Q5 for sale (1,672 listings)
- See Luxury Compact SUVs rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals