Audi Q7 Performance
Test drivers say the 2015 Audi Q7’s base supercharged V6 engine provides ample power to get the SUV up to highway speeds with ease. They agree that the more powerful V6 engine offers even more exhilarating power, and that the diesel-powered Q7 provides quick acceleration and good fuel economy. However, the majority of critics also report that the Q7 is hard to maneuver in small spaces and feels unwieldy around corners.
- "… its lineup of three engines gives everyone an option, coupled with a taut and adjustable suspension that makes this big SUV fun to drive." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Both are paired with an excellent eight-speed automatic, and all Q7s are surprisingly rewarding to drive, somehow managing to impart an athletic feel despite their imposing dimensions." -- Edmunds (2014)
- "On a recent trip to Munich, we pounded the autobahn in the new Q7 and found nothing lacking." -- Car and Driver (2011)
Acceleration and Power
The base 2015 Audi Q7 is equipped with a supercharged 3.0-liter V6 engine that makes 280 horsepower. A 333-horsepower, supercharged 3.0-liter V6 is also available. The 2015 Q7 TDI has a turbodiesel 3.0-liter V6 engine that produces 240 horsepower. All models come standard with an eight-speed automatic transmission. The base 2015 Audi Q7 gets an EPA-estimated 16/22 mpg city/highway, which is good for the class. Diesel models get even better fuel economy with 19/28 mpg.
Automotive journalists agree that the base Q7 accelerates quickly and smoothly. They report that the more powerful supercharged V6 puts down even more authoritative power, and the diesel engine delivers a great combination of power and fuel economy.
- "Neither the gasoline nor diesel engines are short on power, providing remarkable thrust yet also much better fuel economy than you'd expect for a 7-passenger luxury SUV weighing more than 5,000 pounds." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Though its claimed zero-to-60 mph time is an unimpressive 8.5 seconds, in the real world the TDI rarely lacks power thanks to its abundance of torque." -- Left Lane News
- "Under the hood, we've never felt the need for more gusto from the base 3.0T engine. It gets the massive Q7 up to speed without drama, and it's very smooth." -- AutoTrader (2014)
- "The base 3.0T engine serves up respectable passing power in the 2014 Audi Q7, while the more powerful S line version delivers extra punch with no penalty at the gas pump. Nonetheless, our pick is the TDI turbodiesel, which is even quicker in around-town driving and has notably better fuel economy." -- Edmunds (2014)
Handling and Braking
Most critics are disappointed with the 2015 Q7’s handling, noting that it can be unwieldy when cornering, and that the Q7 is difficult to maneuver in small spaces. Still, a few test drivers find the Q7 to be relatively nimble and think its steering is fairly responsive. Some reviewers also point out that although the brakes are strong, they don’t stop the vehicle smoothly. All-wheel drive is standard on the Q7.
- "This is no nimble Q5, although the Q7 boasts responsive steering and an inspiringly solid chassis. The Audi Q7 delivers the kind of driver feedback that's so lacking in competitors like the Cadillac Escalade and Lincoln Navigator." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "On the road, watch out. The Q7's sedan-like cockpit can fool you into thinking this monumentally heavy SUV is a sporty thing. That illusion should fall by the wayside the first time you attempt to take a corner with any enthusiasm." -- AutoTrader (2014)
- "The Q7's prodigious weight is evident when you get behind the wheel, and it's not the easiest-to-maneuver luxury crossover SUV in tight spaces." -- Edmunds (2014)
- "The turning radius is predictably wide--U-turns can be tedious on narrow streets--but the steering itself is quick and slop-free. … Braking is swift and strong, but several testers find the pedal hard to modulate for smooth stops." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
Next Steps: Audi Q7
- View the best prices for the 2015 Audi Q7
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Audi Q7
- Search used Audi Q7 for sale (1,401 listings)
- See Luxury Large SUVs rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals