2008 Audi TT Review
This review was written when the 2008 Audi TT was new.
Critics appreciate the TT coupe's sporty looks, fun ride, and luxurious interior. However, its front-wheel drive layout may give some performance enthusiasts pause.
The 2008 Audi TT is a fun, luxurious sports car that can double as an around-town cruiser. Redesigned this year for the first time, the coupe features a restyled exterior, an updated chassis, and a new base engine. According to Forbes, the TT "looks good, feels genuinely luxurious and is plenty quick enough to show the driver and passenger a good time."
Reviews, however, point out that the TT's front-wheel drive layout may not appeal to those looking for a true sports car. For higher levels of sporty performance, reviews recommend the Porsche Cayman and Mercedes-Benz SLK or CLK.
The Audi TT coupe 2.0T features an inline four-cylinder engine and S tronic automatic transmission, and is also available with a Premium Package. The 3.2 model comes with a V6 engine, Audi's Quattro all-wheel drive, and a six-speed manual transmission (with an optional automatic). The TT is also available as a two-seat roadster with an automatically retractable soft convertible top.
- "With the new TT, Audi has made significant improvements to what already was a good-looking, fun-to-drive sports car. And it has given extra meaning to the term 'extraordinary.'" -- Washington Times
- "The '08 TT might be a tick behind the competition at the track, but taken as a whole -- especially by those who live in the Northern states and like having awd -- the overall package is tough to beat -- gussied-up Golf or not." -- AutoWeek
- "In the end, if you're going for a hard-core sports car, you're probably not looking at the TT, no matter how improved it is in that regard. Plus, if you want to be practical about it, you can get the 3.2-liter engine in an A3 3.2 Quattro and have nearly the same amount of fun-plus room for five people and their stuff." -- Car and Driver
- "What we have today is a tight, somewhat Spartan, high-performance car that is ready to run against some Porsches, Nissan Zaniacs, Mustangs, Corvettes, and other pulsing performers. How do you pick one over the other? Wallet and wishes are the only parameters, but you can't go wrong picking the all-wheel-drive quattro as long as you find its looks satisfying." -- Boston Globe
- "If you're looking for a sporty weekend toy, or even a year round sports car, make sure the 2008 TT is on your shopping list. Be careful about how you outfit your TT, though, because prices rise quickly with options." -- New Car Test Drive
- "The vehicles range in price from $35,000 to more than $50,000 -- a lot of greenbacks for a German roadster or 2+2 coupe." -- Detroit News