BMW 3-Series Hybrid Interior
Reviewers like that the 2014 BMW ActiveHybrid 3’s interior is very similar to the non-hybrid 3-Series’, and includes the same upscale materials and roomy rear seats. Automotive journalists like the 3-Series Hybrid’s optional navigation system that works with the hybrid powertrain to maximize fuel efficiency.
- "Inside, the interior is standard 3-Series fare, meaning it features a fixed information display above the dashboard, loads of high quality materials and good rear-seat space for the segment." -- Left Lane News
The five-seat ActiveHybrid 3 comes standard with leatherette upholstery and eight-way power-adjustable front seats. Leather upholstery, heated front seats, heated rear seats and a heated steering wheel are optional. The ActiveHybrid 3’s seats are the same as those found in the gas-only 3-Series, which reviewers say are comfortable, as well as rear seats that are spacious for the class.
The 2014 BMW 3-Series Hybrid’s standard features include a moonroof, automatic climate control, Bluetooth phone connectivity, HD Radio, a USB port and BMW’s iDrive infotainment system, which includes a 6.5-inch display. Optional features include lane departure warning, blind spot monitoring, front and rear parking sensors, a backup camera, navigation, a head-up display, satellite radio and a Harman Kardon surround-sound audio system.
Reviewers note that the optional navigation system has some unique fuel-saving features, such as the ability to study elevation changes along your route and save the 3-Series Hybrid’s electric power for uphill climbs. The ActiveHybrid 3’s display can also show green driving tips to help you maximize efficiency, and critics say the eco-friendly tips are interesting and presented with attractive graphics, though they can also be distracting.
- "Another cool feature: The system reads the navigation maps and learns the driver's habits, recognizing repetitive commutes, for example. This allows it to deplete the battery while climbing a hill that it knows will provide complete regeneration on the downslope." -- Motor Trend (2013)
- "Braking too hard because you don't anticipate traffic is one tip that appears often, although sometimes it happens because you're spending too much time looking at all the pretty displays." -- Edmunds (2013)
Unlike many hybrid cars, the BMW ActiveHybrid 3’s battery is below the trunk floor, which means that it has almost as much trunk space as the non-hybrid 3-Series.
- "Kudos are due BMW's hybrid team for secreting the 1.35-kW-hr lithium-ion battery pack beneath a flat trunk floor while maintaining full access to the 40/20/40 fold-down rear seat (the rear of the floor is 2 inches higher than in non-electrified 3s, which costs about 3 cubic-feet of luggage space)." -- Motor Trend (2013)
- "Its 317-volt lithium battery resides under the trunk, which means the fold-down rear seats remain. Unless you had a regular 3 Series to compare it against, you'd never know that there was any difference." -- Road and Track (2013)
Next Steps: BMW 3-Series Hybrid
- View the best prices for the 2014 BMW 3-Series Hybrid
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 BMW 3-Series Hybrid
- See Upscale Midsize Cars rankings