2011 BMW 3-Series Wagon Recalls & Reliability
Review Last Updated: 6/22/11
There have been 3 safety recalls issued from NHTSA.
ELECTRICAL SYSTEMRecall Date: 02/07/2013
- Summary: BMW is recalling certain model year 2008-2012 1-Series coupes and convertibles manufactured December 2007 through July 2011; and 2007-2011 3-Series coupes and convertibles manufactured March 2007 through July 2011; 2007-2011 3-Series sedans manufactured March 2007 through October 2011; 2007-2011 3-Series sports wagons manufactured March 2007 through June 2011; and 2009-2011 Z4 vehicles manufactured March 2009 through June 2011. The connector for the positive battery cable connector and the corresponding terminal on the fuse box may degrade over time. Over time, the high current flow and heat from electrical resistance may lead to a breakage of the connection, and a loss of electrical power to the vehicle.
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 504,545
- Consequence: If there is a loss of electrical power to the vehicle, the vehicle may unexpectedly stall, increasing the risk of a crash.
- Remedy: BMW will notify owners, and dealers will replace the positive battery cable connector and secure it with an improved method, free of charge. The recall began on March 13, 2013. Owners may call BMW at 1-800-525-7417 or email BMW at CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com.
- Notes: Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 13V044000
ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:COOLING SYSTEM:FANRecall Date: 08/09/2012
- Summary: Valeo is recalling certain engine cooling fans, part numbers 696121, 696273, and 696275, used as service replacement parts for model year 2008-2011 BMW 1-Series, 2006-2011 BMW 3-Series, 2000-2009 BMW 5-Series, 2004-2005 BMW 6-Series, and 2006-2007 BMW 7-Series vehicles. A metal-oxide semiconductor may overheat due to insufficient screwing of the semiconductor on the aluminum heat sink. This primary failure could cause adjacent components on the fan assembly motor circuit board to overheat and short.
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 585
- Consequence: This condition could cause the fan motor to become inoperative, or cause the motor circuit board in the assembly to overheat, potentially leading to a fire in the engine compartment.
- Remedy: Valeo will notify owners and replace the fans free of charge. The safety recall is expected to begin during August 2012. This recall is being conducted by Valeo, not by BMW. For further information, owners may contact Valeo at 1-888-718-2536.
- Notes: Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 12E029000
POWER TRAIN:DRIVELINE:DRIVESHAFTRecall Date: 09/15/2011
- Summary: BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2011 328I XDRIVE AND 335I XDRIVE VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM FEBRUARY 8, 2011, THROUGH JULY 29, 2011. THE FRONT DRIVESHAFT ATTACHMENT BOLTS MAY NOT HAVE BEEN TIGHTENED TO SPECIFICATION. IF THE BOLTS WERE NOT TIGHTENED TO SPECIFICATION, THEY MAY BECOME LOOSE.
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 190
- Consequence: IF THE BOLTS LOOSEN, IT COULD LEAD TO A LOSS OF POWER TO THE FRONT WHEELS AND ULTIMATELY A VEHICLE BREAKDOWN, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
- Remedy: BMW WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FRONT DRIVESHAFT ATTACHMENT BOLTS FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING OCTOBER 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BMW CUSTOMER RELATIONS AND SERVICES AT 1-800-525-7417.
- Notes: OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 11V476000
Like every vehicle in the class of luxury wagons, the 3-Series wagon carries a four-year/50,000 mile limited warranty. BMW also provides four years of 24-hour roadside assistance.
Next Steps: BMW 3-Series Wagon