2008 BMW 3-Series Review
This review was written when the 2008 BMW 3-Series was new.
The 3-Series' combination of world-class performance and luxury in a midsize sedan is unparalleled in the class.
Offering one of the most exhilarating driving experiences anywhere, combined with excellent safety features and a sleek exterior, the 2008 BMW 3-Series has long been considered the upscale midsize sedan against which all others are compared. Any perceived shortcomings the car might have -- such as the frustrating iDrive system -- are overlooked in favor of the 3-Series' impressive performance, elegant cabin and prestige.
The 2008 3-Series is part of a generation of cars that BMW redesigned in 2006, adding cleaner lines and more powerful engines. It's now on lots with no significant changes from last year's model. However, the 3-series' history of stellar performance goes back much further. Introduced in 1975, the 3-Series is BMW's most popular model, and has consistently been an award winning car. For example, the 2008 3-Series is once again one of Car and Driver's 10 Best Cars thanks to its smooth engines, supple ride quality and comfortable seating. It has been recognized by the magazine a consecutive 17 times, a Car and Driver record. The magazine notes "no other carmaker has quite managed to package these attributes as successfully as BMW, although many have tried." The 2008 3-Series was also selected as one of The Auto Channel's "All-Stars."
The 2008 BMW 3-Series is available in several trims, and also comes as a two-dooror . Early reports indicate a 2009 3-Series will have a diesel option and a more intuitive iDrive interface.
- "Thanks to BMW's fanatical pursuit of driving excellence, not to mention increased pressure from the likes of Infiniti, the 335i has a death grip on Automobile Magazine's back-road crown." -- Automobile Magazine
- "The 3-series continues to be the perennial benchmark of the entry luxury-sports-coupe, -sedan, -convertible class." -- Car and Driver
- "There are many worthy competitors in the entry-luxe category these days -- and it's getting more crowded all the time -- but the 3 remains at the head of the pack." -- U.S. News
- "With streamlined aggression and more power and performance, the 3 is clearly stronger than ever, so much so that there may be no competition at all." -- Motor Week
- "Maybe we should give it a lifetime achievement award. We didn't set out hoping to give the 3-Series another All-Star award-this is the car's thirteenth-but then we got in the car and started driving … The 3-Series is the car that instantly makes any mope who slides behind its wheel a better driver." -- The Auto Channel