2009 BMW 5-Series Wagon Performance
This performance review was created when the car was new. Some links may no longer point to an active page.
Critics agree that the BMW 5-Series wagon provides plenty of power and excellent handling dynamics.
- "The ... BMW 5 Series is an extremely balanced machine that can handle aggressive driving maneuvers on winding back roads as well as it dispatches weekday commutes on crumbling expressways." -- Edmunds
Acceleration and Power
Auto writers appreciate the '09 535i xDrive Sports Wagon's robust powertrain. It features a turbocharged 3.0-liter six-cylinder engine that produces 300-horsepower at 5,800 rpm and 300 pound-feet of torque at 1,400 to 5,000 rpm. While a six-speed manual transmission is standard, a STEPTRONIC automatic is optional. According to the EPA, the 5-Series wagon nets a city/highway fuel economy of 16/23 mpg with the manual transmission and 16/24 mpg with the automatic transmission.
- "[T]he 5 Series' new twin-turbo six-cylinder is the bread and butter of the model's powertrain lineup." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The 3-liter, twin-turbo, inline 6 guarantees plenty of zip without lag when leaving the light or pulling out to pass. The guts of a sedan, though not the glitter." -- Chicago Tribune
- "Once engaged, the six-speed shifts smoothly but prematurely in the name of fuel economy." -- Car and Driver
- "Manual gearbox provides smooth action." -- Consumer Guide
Handling and Braking
Test drivers report that the BMW 5-Series wagon handles marvelously. Standard features aiding the wagon's performance include stability control, brake fade compensation and traction control.
- "Load haulers seldom handle this well or are this much fun to drive." -- Car and Driver
- "The driving experience hasn't changed much, as the 5 Series still has sharper reflexes and more road feel than any other car in its class." -- Edmunds
- "[T]he Active Suspension behaved transparently (and brilliantly), enabling a smooth ride even over choppy pavement and providing unimaginably tenacious grip in sharp corners." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Braking strong, stable, straight." -- Consumer Guide
Standard on the 5-Series wagon is BMW's xDrive all-wheel drive system, which leaves test drivers assured in inclement weather.