BMW 5-Series Review
The 2014 BMW 5-Series ranks 7 out of 13 Luxury Large Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the BMW 5-Series, as well as reliability and safety data.
While some rivals may be a bit more agile, reviewers agree that the 2014 BMW 5-Series offers powerful engine choices and balanced handling.
The BMW 5-Series is available with engines that range from a turbocharged four-cylinder in the base model, to twin-turbo V8s in 550i and M5 models. Auto writers say that the base 528i offers ample power, and that the new turbodiesel BMW 535d feels potent and refined. An eight-speed automatic transmission is standard on most trims, though a manual transmission is available on the 535i and M5 sedans. The EPA reports that the 528i gets 23/34 mpg city/highway, which is very good for the class, while the all-new diesel-powered 535d gets an even better EPA-estimated 26/38 mpg city/highway. Although some reviewers think the 2014 5-Series lacks the agility of some of its rivals, they still note that it has a comfortable, composed ride.
Test drivers write that the 2014 5-Series’ interior has an attractive design, high-quality materials and front seats that some say are the most comfortable in the class. Standard features include leatherette upholstery, a moonroof, navigation, Bluetooth and BMW’s iDrive infotainment system. Leather seating, a rearview camera, a Bang & Olufsen sound system, forward collision warning and blind spot monitoring are optional. Reviewers think that the iDrive system is fairly easy to use, and they like the crisp graphics from its display screen. With the exception of hatchback Gran Turismo models, the 5-Series has less cargo space than many luxury large cars.
- "The 2014 BMW 5 Series is an all-around leader among midsize luxury sedans. Whereas earlier 5 Series models were known for their sport sedanlike reflexes, the current car gives greater priority to comfort and luxury amenities." -- Edmunds
- "If you're the type who doesn't like complexities, either in your car or its pricing structure, the BMW 5 Series will likely have you seeing red. And while a fully-loaded Lexus, Acura or Infiniti remains sensibly priced, a decked out 550i can approach six figures." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "In terms of vehicle dynamics, there will be those who step into the 2014 5 Series expecting it to be a nimble sport sedan like the BMWs of yore. Well, it's not, and people should probably get over it. The 5 Series has evolved into a swift, supple and silent sedan, an unflappable touring car that gives the driver a sense of complete confidence and control. This is still the ultimate driving machine; it's just a different breed now." -- AutoTrader
- "The 5-Series remains a fine choice for high-end shoppers who want to be fully immersed in the driving experience." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
Other Cars to Consider
Critics say the Audi A6 has an attractive interior design and luxurious materials. Additionally, the A6 earns praise for its agile handling, comfortable ride and powerful engine choices.
The Lexus GS offers high-quality interior materials, comfortable seats and athletic handling, according to reviewers. The GS also comes standard with a V6 that test drivers say is very powerful.
Details: 2014 BMW 5-Series
The 2014 BMW 5-Series seats five, comes in sedan and Gran Turismo (hatchback) body styles and is available in 528i, 535i, 535d, 550i, M5 and ActiveHybrid 5 trims. A turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine, an eight-speed automatic transmission and rear-wheel drive are standard, and all-wheel drive is optional. The 5-Series receives a number of updates this year, but hasn’t been fully redesigned since the 2011 model year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2011 to 2014 model years.
Next Steps: BMW 5-Series
- View the best prices for the 2014 BMW 5-Series
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 BMW 5-Series
- Search used BMW 5-Series for sale (10,198 listings)
- See Luxury Large Cars rankings