BMW 5-Series Interior
Critics say the 2014 BMW 5-Series has a tastefully designed interior that’s made with high-quality materials. Reviewers think that the iDrive infotainment system is easy to use and features a beautiful display screen.
- "The interior materials are uniformly rich, and the restrained dashboard design -- including the center stack canted toward the driver -- is straight out of the 7 Series playbook." -- AutoTrader
- "Both driver and passengers will be quite pleased with the 5 Series cabin, as it's elegant, spacious and comfortable, but not over the top." -- Edmunds
- "And the choice of interior materials reflects a new maturity on the part of BMW management; considering this is where consumers spend most of their time, the new upgrades are fully appropriate to that." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Interior materials are more ‘upscale with a purpose’ than full-out luxury. That's just fine, though, given the 5-Series' sporty pretense." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
The BMW 5-Series seats five and comes standard with leatherette upholstery and 10-way power-adjustable front seats. Optional features include leather upholstery and 20-way power-adjustable, heated and ventilated multi-contour front seats. Test drivers say the standard front seats are some of the most comfortable in the class, and they think that a wide range of available adjustments make the optional 20-way adjustable front seats even more comfortable. Automotive journalists write that the rear seats are large enough for two 6-foot adults to sit comfortably. Still, some reviewers think the 5-Series should come standard with leather upholstery.
- "In our interior evaluation, we noted that even the standard 10-way power front seats are among the best chairs you'll find at this price." -- AutoTrader
- "The front seats are quite comfortable, especially with the available 20-way adjustable ‘multicontour’ seats, which provide an unmatched degree of adjustability. In back, there's enough room for a pair of 6-foot adults to be comfortable, and the backseat is nicely contoured and padded." -- Edmunds
- "We'd take issue, however, with the standard-spec Leatherette seating, which has no place in a $50,000 luxury car." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The 5-Series cabin is comfortable and spacious for adults of nearly every shape and size." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
The base 2014 BMW 528i sedan comes standard with a moonroof, BMW’s iDrive infotainment system, navigation, Bluetooth phone and music streaming and a 10-speaker audio system. Available features include a rearview camera, front and rear parking sensors, a Bang & Olufsen sound system, blind spot monitoring, lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control and forward collision warning.
Most reviewers agree that BMW’s iDrive infotainment system is easy to use and features attractive graphics, though some still prefer rival systems, which require fewer steps to change system settings. Test drivers think the optional Bang & Olufsen audio system has excellent sound quality.
- "The 10.2-in central display screen features beautiful graphics and the most intuitive iDrive interface yet." -- AutoTrader
- "Overall, iDrive is pretty easy to use thanks to straightforward menus, crisp graphics and quick processing times. But compared with some rival systems, it often requires a few more twirls and clicks to get what you want." -- Edmunds
- "The [Bang & Olufsen] audio system delivers outstanding music reproduction." -- CNET (2013)
The 2014 BMW 5-Series sedan has 14 cubic feet of trunk space, which is a bit small for the class. Gran Turismo models offer up to 60 cubic feet with the rear seats folded. The ActiveHybrid 5 sedan has 10 cubic feet of trunk space. A power trunk lid is optional on the sedan, and a power liftgate is standard on the Gran Turismo.
- "The trunk, at 14 cubic feet of luggage capacity, is smaller than average for this segment." -- Edmunds
- "The trunk is wide at the back but narrows significantly between the wheels. It is also not as usefully shaped as most, partly because sickle-type lid hinges dip into the load area, though they're covered to avoid damaging cargo." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
- "All this is not to say that the hybrid is totally free of drawbacks. The most notable is reduced trunk space. The battery pack is located behind the back seat and as a result, cargo volume drops by roughly one third." -- Automobile Magazine (2012 ActiveHybrid 5)
Next Steps: BMW 5-Series
- View the best prices for the 2014 BMW 5-Series
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 BMW 5-Series
- Search used BMW 5-Series for sale (17,276 listings)
- See Luxury Large Cars rankings