BMW 6-Series Review
The 2014 BMW 6-Series ranks 6 out of 12 Super Luxury Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the BMW 6-Series, as well as reliability and safety data.
No matter which model you pick, critics agree that the 2014 BMW 6-Series Gran Coupe, coupe and convertible offer a premium interior and a sporty driving experience.
A turbocharged six-cylinder engine comes with all 2014 BMW 640i models, and reviewers say that it is quick from a stop and delivers plenty of power for merging on the highway. They praise the twin-turbocharged V8 in the 650i coupe, convertible and Gran Coupe for its smooth and robust power delivery, while high-performance M6 models deliver truly phenomenal acceleration. An eight-speed automatic transmission is standard in 640i and 650i models, and test drivers report that it delivers quick, smooth gear changes. According to the EPA, the 2014 BMW 640i coupe gets 22/32 mpg city/highway, which is better than most super luxury cars’ estimates. The 640i Gran Coupe earns slightly lower estimates, but still uses less fuel than competitors like the base Jaguar XJ and Porsche Panamera. While its size and weight prevent it from being sports-car nimble, reviewers agree that the 2014 6-Series delivers quick steering and handling that’s athletic for the class. Many also appreciate that the standard adaptive suspension system provides a comfortable ride.
Automotive journalists write that all 2014 BMW 6-Series models have an attractive, driver-oriented cabin that’s built with premium materials. Test drivers say that all 6-Series models feature a roomy trunk and exceptionally comfortable front seats, though some point out that competing super luxury cars offer roomier back seats than the 6-Series Gran Coupe. On the other hand, reviewers love the standard iDrive infotainment system with navigation, which features straightforward menus and a large, crisp display. Additional standard features include leather upholstery, Bluetooth, a USB port, front and rear parking sensors and a rearview camera. Available features include a head-up display, night vision with pedestrian detection and a parallel parking assist system.
- "With options galore, classy styling and plenty of power, the 2014 BMW 6 Series continues as a world-class grand touring coupe and convertible." -- Edmunds
- "Emphasizing comfort and technology rather than the traditional ‘ultimate driving machine’ ethos, the 2014 6 Series identifies BMW as a serious player in the exclusive league of personal luxury cars." -- AutoTrader
- "While its numerically lower and higher kin constitute practical transportation for the well-heeled, the more exclusive 6 Series models are for buyers more interested in style and image. They offer heaping portions of both, and a hearty helping of BMW's stellar driving dynamics, especially in the high-powered M variants." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The new 640i Gran Coupe is just as sexy as its 6-Series siblings, with considerable added usefulness of proper rear seats. Comparisons and confrontations with solid rivals are inevitable, but BMW now has a strong player in the 4-door luxury coupe chess game." -- MSN Autos (2013)
Other Cars to Consider
Reviewers agree that the Porsche Panamera offers dynamic handling and an elegant interior with first-rate materials. The Panamera is also available in a number of trims, including a plug-in hybrid model that gets great fuel economy for the class.
The Audi A7 comes standard with all-wheel drive, and the diesel-powered A7 TDI gets excellent fuel economy for the class. The A7 has more cargo space behind the rear seats, and reviewers say it has a luxurious, high-end interior.
Details: 2014 BMW 6-Series
The 2014 BMW 6-Series comes in 640i, 650i and high-performance M6 trims, which are available in coupe, convertible and Gran Coupe (four-door) body styles. The 6-Series coupe and convertible seat four, while the 6-Series Gran Coupe seats five. BMW 640i models come with a turbocharged six-cylinder engine and an eight-speed automatic transmission. Rear-wheel drive is standard and all-wheel drive is available. The BMW 6-Series’ last full redesign was in 2012, so this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2012 through 2014 model years.
Next Steps: BMW 6-Series
- View the best prices for the 2014 BMW 6-Series
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- Search used BMW 6-Series for sale (1,891 listings)
- See Super Luxury Cars rankings