BMW 6-Series Review
The 2015 BMW 6-Series ranks 4 out of 6 Super Luxury Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the BMW 6-Series, as well as reliability and safety data.
With a range of powerful engines, athletic handling and three body styles, critics say the 2015 BMW 6-Series is a compelling luxury car.
The 2015 BMW 640i comes with a turbocharged six-cylinder engine that feels very potent to most critics, and they say the 650i’s twin-turbocharged V8 delivers jaw-dropping power. The M6 and new Alpina B6 models have even more-powerful twin-turbo V8s. The 6-Series comes standard with an eight-speed automatic transmission and rear-wheel drive. All-wheel drive is optional. According to the EPA, the 2015 BMW 640i gets up to 21/32 mpg city/highway, which is very good for the class. Reviewers write that the 6-Series feels nimble for a luxury car, and they like its responsive steering and smooth ride.
Top-notch materials and sleek styling make the 2015 BMW 6-Series’ interior very appealing, auto writers say. Test drivers think the 6-Series has very comfortable front seats, especially when you upgrade to the 20-way power-adjustable versions. They note that rear-seat space is tight in the coupe and convertible, adding that the Gran Coupe sedan has ample legroom, but its headroom could be better. Trunk space in the 6-Series is good for the class. Standard features include leather upholstery, power-adjustable front seats, heated front seats, a rearview camera, front and rear parking sensors, driver drowsiness monitoring, dual-zone automatic climate control and BMW’s iDrive infotainment system, which includes navigation, a 10.2-inch display, satellite radio, Bluetooth and a USB port. Available features include ventilated front seats, a heated steering wheel, a Harman Kardon or Bang & Olufsen surround-sound audio system, parallel parking assist, a surround-view camera system, adaptive cruise control, blind spot monitoring, lane departure warning and a night vision mode. Critics are impressed with the BMW 6-Series’ wide array of high-tech features and note that iDrive has simple menus and a beautiful display.
- "With roots that trace back to the late 1970s, the 3rd-generation 6 Series remains a leader in grand touring, even against such tough competitors as the Jaguar XK, Mercedes-Benz E-Class Coupe and Audi S5." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The 2015 BMW 6 Series coupe and convertible stay competitive among luxury two-doors thanks to features galore, a beautifully trimmed cabin and stellar powertrains." --Edmunds
- "Emphasizing comfort and technology rather than the traditional ‘ultimate driving machine’ ethos, the 2014 6 Series identifies BMW as a serious player in the exclusive league of personal luxury cars." -- AutoTrader (2014)
- "The new 640i Gran Coupe is just as sexy as its 6-Series siblings, with considerable added usefulness of proper rear seats. Comparisons and confrontations with solid rivals are inevitable, but BMW now has a strong player in the 4-door luxury coupe chess game." -- MSN Autos (2013)
BMW 6-Series Pictures & Videos
Other Cars to Consider
Test drivers love the Audi A7’s road-hugging grip, and they say it has one of the most beautiful interiors on the market. Reviewers also appreciate the A7's cavernous trunk, and it gets outstanding fuel economy when equipped with the diesel engine.
The Porsche Panamera earns rave reviews for its sharp handling and potent acceleration. Thanks to its hatchback body style, the Panamera also has a large trunk for the class, and auto writers think its interior materials are very lavish.
Details: 2015 BMW 6-Series
The 2015 BMW 6-Series is available in coupe, convertible and Gran Coupe (four-door) body styles. The coupe and convertible seat four, while the Gran Coupe seats five. There are four trims: The base BMW 640i comes with a turbocharged 3.0-liter six-cylinder engine. The 650i, M6 and new-for-2015 Alpina B6 all have twin-turbocharged 4.4-liter V8 engines with varying amounts of horsepower. An eight-speed automatic transmission and rear-wheel drive are standard. All-wheel drive (xDrive) is available. The 6-Series sees a few minor changes for 2015, but its last full redesign was for the 2012 model year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2012 through 2015 model years.
Next Steps: BMW 6-Series
- View the best prices for the 2015 BMW 6-Series
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 BMW 6-Series
- Search used BMW 6-Series for sale (1,602 listings)
- See Super Luxury Cars rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals