BMW X5 Review
The 2015 BMW X5 ranks 1 out of 18 Luxury Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the BMW X5, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 BMW X5 is ranked:
The BMW X5 has potent engines, excellent fuel economy and adept handling, test drivers say, making it one of the most well-rounded SUVs in the class.
The 2015 BMW X5 is powered by a turbocharged six-cylinder engine. A turbocharged V8 and turbodiesel six-cylinder are available. Test drivers say you will be pleased by all three engines, as they deliver plenty of power and effortless acceleration. Still, they find the diesel-powered X5 is particularly impressive with the power and fuel economy it delivers. An eight-speed automatic transmission is standard, and a few reviewers report that it always chooses the best gear and produces silky shifts. With 19/27 mpg city/highway, base X5 earns good fuel economy estimates for the class. Meanwhile, the turbodiesel X5 gets 24/31 mpg, which is exceptional for the class. The 2015 X5 has athletic handling for the class and rounds corners with confidence, according to most test drivers. They also appreciate its strong brakes and cushioned ride over rough roads.
Auto writers say top-notch cabin materials and attractive styling create a luxurious atmosphere inside the 2015 BMW X5. They also appreciate the excellent comfort provided by the X5's front seats, asserting they can easily accommodate people of nearly any size. The second-row seats also provide abundant space for adults, reviewers say. The 2015 X5 comes with a panoramic moonroof, push-button start, front and rear parking sensors, satellite radio, Bluetooth, navigation and BMW’s iDrive infotainment system with a 10.2-inch display. Available features include a surround view camera system, a head-up display, blind spot monitoring, lane departure warning, active park assist, a night vision system with pedestrian detection and a rear-seat entertainment system. Test drivers report that the X5’s infotainment system is easy to operate, and that redundant buttons make it easy to adjust some settings without using the iDrive controller.
- "Thanks to its well-rounded nature, the 2015 BMW X5 is a top choice for a luxury crossover SUV, especially if performance is a priority." -- Edmunds
- "Any model is quite pricey, but if you crave an SUV with an emphasis on ‘Sport’, this BMW might be the one for you." -- Consumer Guide
- “Its pricing isn't for the faint of heart, but a trio of strong, refined engines, high levels of passenger comfort and a dizzying array of safety and convenience technologies make a strong case for shoppers to consider opening up their checkbooks." -- Left Lane News
- "The big question remaining is this: Is it worth it? Price aside, it's still the leader of its class and it's never been better. Is that enough for you?" -- Autoblog (2014)
BMW X5 Pictures & Videos
Other SUVs to Consider
Reviewers say that the Porsche Cayenne's engaging handling and powerful engine choices make it one of the most fun-to-drive SUVs in the class. Test drivers like the Cayenne’s interior, which features excellent build quality and opulent materials.
The Acura MDX seats seven, and reviewers agree that there’s plenty of room in the first two rows. They also like its upscale cabin. Additionally, the MDX has a lot more cargo space and a significantly lower base price than the X5.
Details: 2015 BMW X5
The 2015 BMW X5 seats five, or seven with an optional third row. Four trims are available, ranging from the rear-wheel drive X5 sDrive35i with a turbocharged 3.0-liter six-cylinder engine to the X5 xDrive50i with a turbocharged 4.4-liter V8 and all-wheel drive. An eight-speed automatic transmission is standard. The BMW X5 was fully redesigned for the 2014 model year and sees only minor updates for 2015. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and review from the 2014 to 2015 model years.
Next Steps: BMW X5
- View the best prices for the 2015 BMW X5
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 BMW X5
- Search used BMW X5 for sale (5,892 listings)
- See Luxury Midsize SUVs rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals