2011 BMW X5 Recalls & Reliability
There have been 2 safety recalls issued from NHTSA.
Recall Date: 04/10/2014
- Consequence: If the bolts loosen or break the engine may have reduced power or stall. An engine stall increases the risk of a crash.
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 14V176000
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 156,137
- Summary: BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain model year 2010-2011 128i Coupe, 128i Convertible, 328i Sedan, 328i xDrive Sedan, 328i Coupe, 328i Convertible, 328i Sports Wagon and Z4 sDrive 30i, 2011-2012 135i Coupe, 135i Convertible, 335i Sedan, X5 xDrive 35i, and X6 xDrive 35i, 2011 335i xDrive Sedan, 335i Coupe, 335i Convertible, 528i Sedan, 535i Sedan, 535i xDrive Sedan, X3 xDrive 28i, and X3 xDrive 35i, 2010 X3 xDrive 30i, and X5 xDrive 30i, 2012 640i Coupe, and 640i Convertible and 2010-2012 535i Gran Turismo vehicles. In the affected vehicles, the bolts that secure the housing for the variable camshaft timing adjustment (VANOS) unit can loosen over time and may possibly break.
- Remedy: BMW will notify owners, and dealers will replace the four VANOS housing bolts for both VANOS units (intake and exhaust), free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in May 2014. In addition, owners of approximately 170,172 model year 2010-2012 BMW vehicles equipped with inline 6 cylinder engines not covered by this recall, will receive an extended warranty to address this condition. Owners may contact BMW at 1-800-525-7417.
- Notes: Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
EQUIPMENT:OTHER:LABELSRecall Date: 05/28/2010
- Consequence: IMPROPER TIRE INFLATION CAN RESULT IN PREMATURE TIRE FAILURE OR REDUCED VEHICLE HANDLING PERFORMANCE, EITHER OF WHICH CAN INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH.
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 10V233000
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 296
- Summary: BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2011 X5 SAV AND X6 SAV PASSENGER VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM APRIL 1 THROUGH MAY 8, 2010. THE TIRE LABEL DOES NOT CONFORM TO THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 110, "TIRE SELECTION AND RIMS." THE VEHICLES ARE EQUIPPED WITH 20-INCH WHEELS, BUT THE LABEL STATES THAT THE VEHICLES WERE EQUIPPED WITH 19-INCH WHEELS AND THE STATED TIRE PRESSURE IS INCORRECT FOR THE EQUIPPED WHEELS.
- Remedy: BMW WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND PROVIDE CORRECT LABELS FREE OF CHARGE. THE OWNER WILL HAVE THE OPTION TO AFFIX THE LABEL THEMSELVES OR THEY MAY TAKE THEIR VEHICLE TO A BMW DEALER WHO WILL AFFIX THE LABEL FOR THEM AT NO COST. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR ABOUT JULY 30, 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BMW AT 1-800-525-7417.
- Notes: OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .
Our reliability score is based on the J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS) rating or, if unavailable, the J.D. Power Predicted Reliability rating.
- Among The Best
- Better Than Most
- About Average
- The Rest
Note that warranty coverage that came with the vehicle when it was new may not transfer to subsequent owners. Check with the manufacturer to see if a warranty may still apply.