BMW X6 Review
The 2015 BMW X6 ranks 13 out of 18 Luxury Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the BMW X6, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 BMW X6 is ranked:
Critics report the redesigned 2015 BMW X6's limited cargo room makes it less practical than other SUVs, but they find it has agile handling and rapid acceleration.
Test drivers say the turbocharged six-cylinder engine powering the 2015 BMW X6 delivers plenty of power. The available twin-turbo V8, they add, provides exceptional acceleration. The standard eight-speed automatic transmission shifts rapidly and is responsive, automotive writers say. At an EPA-estimated 19/27 mpg city/highway, the X6's fuel economy is good for the class. Reviewers agree that the X6 rides comfortably and has very athletic handling considering its size and weight. They note that its steering is responsive but offers very little road feedback and that while its brake pedal feels soft, the brakes themselves have plenty of stopping power.
The 2015 BMW X6 has a stylish interior and premium materials, reviewers comment. Rearward visibility is limited by the sloping roofline, they say, but the front seats are comfortable. A majority of critics report the rear seats provide adequate head- and legroom. Some say the X6's appeal as a family car is hurt by its cargo space, which is significantly less than that of rival luxury midsize SUVs. The X6 comes standard with BMW's iDrive infotainment system with a 10.2-inch display, navigation, Bluetooth, a USB port and front and rear parking sensors. Options include a rearview camera, adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning, a 16-speaker Harman Kardon or Bang & Olufsen stereo system, four-zone automatic climate control, a rear-seat entertainment system and night vision with pedestrian detection. According to reviewers, it is easy to adjust the audio and navigation systems using iDrive, however they say that some rivals' infotainment systems are more user-friendly.
- "Marketed as a cross between an SUV and a high-end coupe, the 2015 BMW X6 is engaging to drive but offers little in the way of utility." -- Edmunds
- "Given that the new 2015 BMW X6 offers more of the same, I think it's safe to say Bimmer's loyal X6 buyers, as well as a few new converts, will be more than happy with the 2015 model." -- Motor Trend
- "For those that love the look and performance of a sporty SUV without the upright constraints of a boxy design, it's an improvement over the original. For those that just don't get it, the new version is just more of the same. We wish it were a bit more distinctive than its predecessor, but for now we think lighter, faster and more efficient is a good start." -- Left Lane News
- "Players may come and go, but for the moment, BMW owns the unusual Sports Activity Coupe segment with its all-new 2015 X6. Its encore presentation may remain visually divisive, but its second execution is unquestionably luxurious, capable and commendable." -- Autoblog
BMW X6 Pictures & Videos
Other SUVs to Consider
The BMW X5 is available with the same engines as the X6 and has an available diesel engine that helps it return exceptional fuel economy for the class. Like the X6, reviewers like the X5's classy cabin and nimble handling, but it has quite a bit more overall cargo space than the X6.
The Porsche Cayenne has more cargo space than the X6, and reviewers like its unique center stack design and incredibly comfortable front seats. The Cayenne has nimble handling and exceptional power with any of its optional V8 engines.
Details: 2015 BMW X6
The 2015 BMW X6 seats five and four models are available. The rear-wheel drive sDrive35i, which is new for 2015, and the all-wheel drive xDrive35i have a turbocharged 3.0-liter inline-six-cylinder engine. The xDrive50i and performance-oriented X6 M both have all-wheel drive and a twin-turbocharged 4.4-liter V8. An eight-speed automatic transmission is standard. The X6 is fully redesigned for the 2015 model year.
Next Steps: BMW X6
- View the best prices for the 2015 BMW X6
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 BMW X6
- Search used BMW X6 for sale (656 listings)
- See Luxury Midsize SUVs rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals