BMW Z4 Review
The 2015 BMW Z4 ranks 11 out of 16 Luxury Sports Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the BMW Z4, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 BMW Z4 has a composed ride and a handsome interior, though it isn’t as agile as rivals, critics say.
Critics are impressed with the power produced by the turbocharged four-cylinder engine in the base Z4 sDrive28i. They note that the turbocharged six-cylinder engines in the sDrive35i and sDrive35is are more powerful, but some still favor the sDrive28i because of its lively acceleration, lower price and superior fuel economy. The sDrive28i comes standard with a six-speed manual transmission, and an eight-speed automatic is a no-cost option. According to the EPA, the 2015 Z4 sDrive28i gets 22/33 mpg city/highway, which is in line with what others in the class get, while the sDrive35i and sDrive35is get 17/24. Critics like the Z4’s comfortable ride, and they say it has little body lean and excellent grip during cornering. However, they note that it’s less agile than rivals like the Porsche Boxster.
Test drivers say the 2015 BMW Z4’s cabin has sleek styling, top-notch materials and excellent build quality. According to reviewers, the Z4 provides plenty of head- and legroom for taller occupants, which is impressive for a small roadster. Critics note that the Z4’s trunk is fairly spacious, and they like the Z4’s versatile hardtop convertible roof, which allows you to enjoy the quiet ride and solid feel of a coupe and the open-air fun of a convertible. Standard features in the 2015 Z4 include Bluetooth, USB and auxiliary ports, HD Radio and dual-zone automatic climate control. Available features include heated seats, satellite radio, navigation, front and rear parking sensors, smartphone app integration and an upgraded sound system.
- "The 2015 BMW Z4 offers sleek styling, a high-class interior and more than enough performance to make it desirable." -- Edmunds
- "Hardcore driving enthusiasts who find the BMW Z4 too soft should head for the Porsche Boxster." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "It's the Z4's sophistication that draws people in, not its tough-guy racetrack credentials. So although the 2015 Z4 is a Porsche Boxster competitor in price, it's more of a compact, bargain-priced Mercedes-Benz SL-Class in spirit. And you know what? We dig that concept, and we bet you will, too." --AutoTrader
- "The BMW Z4 is a two-seat hardtop convertible that provides a blend of luxury, style and the expected precision BMW handling dynamics." -- Left Lane News
Other Cars to Consider
Test drivers say the Porsche Boxster is one of the most athletic cars in the class, with sharp handling and a powerful six-cylinder engine. The Boxster also earns praise for its modern interior design and supportive seats.
The BMW 4-Series convertible offers seating for four, good fuel economy and available all-wheel drive for about the same price as a base Z4. Critics say the 4-Series has a handsome interior, strong acceleration and incredibly agile handling.
Details: 2015 BMW Z4
The 2015 BMW Z4 is a two-seat hardtop convertible that comes in sDrive28i, sDrive35i and sDrive35is trims. The Z4 sDrive28i has a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine, while the sDrive35i and sDrive35is have twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter six-cylinder engines. The Z4 sDrive28i comes standard with a six-speed manual transmission, and an eight-speed automatic is a no-cost option. The Z4 hasn’t changed much since it was last fully redesigned for the 2009 model year, so this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2009 through 2015 model years.
Next Steps: BMW Z4
- View the best prices for the 2015 BMW Z4
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 BMW Z4
- Search used BMW Z4 for sale (884 listings)
- See Luxury Sports Cars rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals