Buick Enclave Review
The 2014 Buick Enclave ranks 1 out of 23 Affordable Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Buick Enclave, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2014 Buick Enclave is ranked:
The 2014 Buick Enclave impresses test drivers with its refined handling and classy interior. Those traits, combined with an excellent safety score, make the Enclave highly recommended among affordable midsize SUVs. For having the best combination of factors that appeal to families, we named the Enclave our 2014 Best 3-Row Midsize SUV for Families.
The Enclave is powered by a V6 engine that auto writers say has sufficient power for all driving situations. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard, and most reviewers are pleased with its quick, smooth shifts. At up to an EPA-estimated 17/24 mpg city/highway, the Enclave’s fuel economy is about average for the class. Most critics are pleased with the Enclave’s ride, noting that it is very comfortable without feeling spongy or too soft. Reviewers are equally pleased with the feel and responsiveness of the brakes and steering, though one reviewer cautions that, due to its size, the Enclave can be somewhat difficult to maneuver through tight spaces.
Test drivers like the design of the Buick Enclave’s cabin, and are pleased with the ample use of premium materials throughout. The Enclave can seat up to eight people and reviewers report that the front seats are comfortable, the second-row seats are spacious enough for three-across seating, and adults can fit in the third row if needed. The Enclave also offers an abundance of cargo space for a midsize SUV. As a whole, the Enclave’s interior features, including the standard infotainment system, earn reviewer praise for their ease of use. The Enclave’s standard features include Buick’s IntelliLink infotainment system, Bluetooth, a USB port, satellite radio, a backup camera, rear parking sensors and tri-zone automatic climate control. Optional features include a 10-speaker Bose stereo, navigation, forward collision alert, lane departure warning, blind zone alert and a rear-seat entertainment system.
- "It's a full-size crossover with three rows of seating and one of the smoothest rides available for less than $40,000. While heavy and a little slow to rally for highway-passing speeds, the Enclave is quiet, comfortable, and family friendly." -- Car and Driver
- "The Buick Enclave improves upon the strengths of the Chevrolet Traverse and GMC Acadia by providing tangible upgrades in luxury and style. Its car-like driving dynamics and impressive passenger and cargo versatility make it one of the best vehicles in its class." -- Consumer Guide
- " It's more like a perfectly logical extension of the high-end yet sensible station wagons of the past, but with all the modern advances in style, technology, road manners, efficiency and safety required by the times. It feels just about ideal for its intended mission." -- Kelley Blue Book
Other SUVs to Consider
The Chevrolet Traverse has the same basic platform, powertrain and seating capacity as the Enclave, but it costs a bit less. While the Traverse’s interior isn’t as lavish as the Enclave’s, reviewers are still pleased with the overall build quality, as well as its ample cargo capacity.
The Acura MDX costs a bit more than the Enclave, but reviewers like its high-quality interior and refined powertrain. Like the Enclave, the MDX earns praise for its refined suspension, which test drivers say delivers a good ride and handling balance.
Details: 2014 Buick Enclave
The 2014 Buick Enclave seats up to eight and comes standard with front-wheel drive. All-wheel drive is optional. A 3.6-liter V6 and six-speed automatic transmission are standard on all models. The Enclave is available with three equipment groups: Convenience Group, Leather Group and Premium Group. The Enclave was refreshed last year, but hasn’t been substantially updated since it debuted in 2008. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from 2008 to 2014.
Next Steps: Buick Enclave
- View the best prices for the 2014 Buick Enclave
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Buick Enclave
- Search used Buick Enclave for sale (8,132 listings)
- See Affordable Midsize SUVs rankings