Buick Encore Review
The 2015 Buick Encore ranks 4 out of 9 Affordable Subcompact SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Buick Encore, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Buick Encore is ranked:
Reviewers say the 2015 Buick Encore needs a more potent engine, and they add that it gets excellent fuel economy, has numerous standard features and its interior is high-quality.
Powering the 2015 Buick Encore is a turbocharged four-cylinder engine. Many automotive critics say the Encore struggles to merge at highway speeds, but others think it has enough power for driving around town. Fuel economy is an EPA-estimated 25/33 mpg city/highway, which is excellent for the class. According to reviewers, the Encore has a comfortable ride and well-controlled handling that keeps the SUV stable through turns. Additionally, test drivers say the 2015 Encore is easy to maneuver in parking spaces and on city streets, thanks to its small size and accurate steering.
Test drivers report the Buick Encore's interior features premium materials. They add that the cabin is hushed and provides the driver with good visibility. The rear seats offer good head- and legroom for a pair of adults, critics add. Standard features in the Buick Encore include a rearview camera, Buick’s IntelliLink infotainment system with a 7-inch color display, Bluetooth, satellite radio, a USB port and a Wi-Fi hot spot provided by OnStar 4G LTE (subscription required). Options include a sunroof, navigation, a seven-speaker Bose audio system, dual-zone automatic climate control, blind spot monitoring, forward collision alert and lane departure warning. The 2015 Encore's ample standard features impress reviewers. Some also say the infotainment system is responsive and intuitive. The Encore has 48.4 cubic feet of overall cargo space. Although that's one of the smaller cargo holds in the class, reviewers say the space is versatile and can accommodate a good amount of cargo.
- "No, the Encore doesn't take on BMW or Mercedes in terms of driving experience, but it does offer luxury-SUV appointments and cachet without asking shoppers to shell out an arm and a leg to get in the door." -- AutoTrader
- "Buick's pint-sized Encore is positioned in the nebulous space between the mainstream and luxury crossover segments. Down on power and space compared to most similarly-priced 'utes, it distinguishes itself with a well-furnished and whisper-quiet cabin along with good fuel efficiency and responsive handling." -- Left Lane News
- “The 5-door Encore SUV may be small, but its stylish exterior and lavish interior place it in league with such popular makes as the Mini Countryman and Mazda CX-5. This bodes well not just for first-time Buick buyers, but also empty nesters looking to downsize without giving up comfort, value and need for AWD.” -- Kelley Blue Book
- "If you're looking for a handsome, fuel-efficient crossover to drive in the city, the 2014 Buick Encore is worth considering. If your plans include frequent road trips, however, we'd encourage you to test-drive at least a couple of its competitors, as well as larger crossovers like the CR-V, Ford Escape and Toyota RAV4, which offer significantly more space and, in most cases, better performance for similar money." -- Edmunds (2014)
Buick Encore Pictures & Videos
Other SUVs to Consider
Reviewers say the Ford Escape’s available 2.0-liter turbocharged engine has plenty of power for highway passing and merging. They also like its agile handling and responsive steering. Additionally, the Escape has more cargo space than the Encore, and it’s available with features like a power liftgate.
Reviewers agree that the GMC Terrain’s sliding and reclining back seat is roomy and versatile. Its interior is also good-looking and comprised of upscale materials, they add. Additionally, test drivers say the Terrain’s available V6 engine delivers ample power.
Details: 2015 Buick Encore
The 2015 Buick Encore seats five and has standard front-wheel drive. A 1.4-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine and six-speed automatic transmission are standard, and all-wheel drive is optional. The Encore comes in four trims: base, Convenience, Leather and Premium. The Encore was introduced in 2013 and sees few changes for the 2015 model year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from 2013 and 2015.
Next Steps: Buick Encore
- View the best prices for the 2015 Buick Encore
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Buick Encore
- Search used Buick Encore for sale (1,086 listings)
- See Affordable Subcompact SUVs rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals