Buick LaCrosse Performance
While the 2013 Buick LaCrosse eAssist is no sports car, reviewers generally say that it’s powerful enough for your daily commute. They’re also pleased with its comfortable ride, strong brakes and smooth start/stop system.
- "LaCrosse handles competently, no more, at least in standard form. It's not exactly nimble, but it never feels ponderous either." -- Consumer Guide
- "The key point about the 2013 Buick LaCrosse driving experience is how transparent its eAssist system is on the road." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The hybrid system’s additional torque helps this new LaCrosse get to 60 mph 0.2 seconds sooner than the last car, according to Buick." -- Automobile Magazine (2012)
- "It's still no sport sedan, but it won't make you fearful of short freeway on-ramps. The auto start/stop feature works pretty well, starting almost imperceptibly except in very quick transitions from brake to throttle." -- Motor Trend (2012)
Acceleration and Power
The 2013 Buick LaCrosse eAssist is powered by a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine and a small electric motor. Combined, the Lacrosse eAssist’s mild-hybrid powertrain delivers 182 horsepower to the front wheels through a six-speed automatic transmission. A 303-horsepower, 3.6-liter V6 engine is also available, which is paired with six-speed automatic transmission and front-wheel drive. All-wheel drive is optional on V6 models. The EPA reports that the LaCrosse eAssist gets 25/36 mpg city/highway, which is quite good for an affordable large car. V6 models get up to 17/27 mpg, which is slightly less than rivals like the Ford Taurus and Chrysler 300.
Most reviewers haven’t driven the V6-powered LaCrosse yet. Instead, they’ve focused on the fuel-efficient LaCrosse eAssist, which gets generally positive reviews. Although one reviewer says that the LaCrosse eAssist feels underpowered, other test drivers say that the mild-hybrid system provides adequate power in most situations. Others also note that the eAssist powertrain is refined and quiet, and that the fuel-saving start/stop system operates smoothly in traffic.
- "Despite a boot from its electric motor, 4-cylinder LaCrosse models are still far from quick. ... The transmission shifts smoothly, but downshifts occasionally suffer from a noticeable delay from the time you press the gas pedal to when you speed ahead." -- Consumer Guide
- "A more powerful V6 engine is available, but we actually prefer the progressive spirit of the eAssist powertrain, with its 2.4-liter 4-cylinder engine, small electric ‘boost’ motor and regenerative braking." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Like everything else in the LaCrosse, the direct-injection four-cylinder is impressively smooth, quiet, and refined." -- Automobile Magazine (2012)
- "While taking off from lights, passing other cars, or going for a quick lane change in traffic, the car responded promptly. The electric boost from the hybrid system works with the four-cylinder engine to deliver adequate acceleration for most needs." -- CNET (2012)
Handling and Braking
While one test driver says that the LaCrosse wasn’t the most composed around corners, he admits that this affordable large car isn’t meant to be a sports sedan. In that regard, other reviewers say that the 2013 LaCrosse handles quite well for a comfort-tuned car. They note that its brakes feel strong and responsive, even in eAssist models, and that the LaCrosse’s handling is good for a car that offers such a comfortable ride.
- "Steering feel is fairly dull, and there's noticeable body lean in fast corners. This was never meant to be a sport sedan, though." -- Consumer Guide
- "We found the steering precise, the brakes strong, the handling surprisingly agile and eAssist acceleration more than adequate though the engine can get a bit raucous at higher revs." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The Buick LaCrosse eAssist doesn’t use a typical hybrid blended brake master cylinder, so its brakes feel no different than any other nonhybrid vehicle. This is a very good thing." -- Automobile Magazine (2012)
Next Steps: Buick LaCrosse
- View the best prices for the 2013 Buick LaCrosse
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2013 Buick LaCrosse
- Search used Buick LaCrosse for sale (5,181 listings)
- See Affordable Large Cars rankings