Buick Regal Review
The 2013 Buick Regal ranks 4 out of 20 Upscale Midsize Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of 38 published reviews and test drives of the Buick Regal, and our analysis of reliability and safety data.
With composed handling, a high-quality interior and a long list of standard features, the 2013 Buick Regal outranks a number of more expensive upscale midsize cars.
Test drivers say that the 2013 Buick Regal eAssist’s four-cylinder engine and small electric motor don’t provide thrilling acceleration, but with 25/36 mpg city/highway, they also note that the Regal eAssist gets better fuel economy than most cars in the class. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard, and reviewers say that the Regal’s drivetrain is quiet and refined. If you want more power, many suggest Regal Turbo and GS models, which feature turbocharged four-cylinder engines. Regardless of which model you choose, reviewers remain pleased with the Regal’s handling. They say that the Regal offers a firm, composed ride, with handling that rivals more expensive European sedans.
The Buick Regal is the 2013 Best Upscale Midsize Car for the Money because it has the best combination of ownership costs and positive reviews in its class.
The Regal’s interior also shines with first-rate materials and a stylish design that auto writers appreciate. While a few test drivers say that there could be more back-seat passenger space, most are pleased with the Regal’s comfortable front seats and its long list of standard features. The Regal GS and Turbo models also have more room for cargo than many cars in the class, though the Regal eAssist’s battery pack takes up some trunk space. Buick’s IntelliLink infotainment system is now standard equipment, and the Regal also comes with features like leather, heated front seats and dual-zone automatic climate control. Notable options include a moonroof, navigation, front and rear parking sensors and push-button start.
- "The Regal GS is an interesting take on the factory-tuned performance car. It delivers solid handling with little sacrifice to overall refinement." -- Consumer Guide
- "While the 2013 Buick Regal's styling is lovely and the car drives with the refinement we associate with imports, its pure performance still falls a little short." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The Buick Regal is an entirely reasonable proposition. People and stuff fit in it. It's decent looking, priced fairly and has the requisite balance of power and fuel economy for a medium-size sedan with premium aspirations." -- AutoWeek (2012 Regal GS)
- "So let's see what we have here; A gorgeous, fun-to-drive, quick, comfortable, well-equipped American sedan built with the quality of its German competitors... and it's a Buick. Who knew?" -- Jalopnik (2011)
Other Cars to Consider
If you like the Regal’s high-quality interior, check out the Volkswagen CC. Some reviewers say that the CC’s back seat is a little cramped, but the CC comes loaded with just as many features as the Regal. In addition, the CC is available with features like all-wheel drive, which the Regal can’t match.
The Volvo S60 matches the Regal’s list of standard features, and reviewers say that its interior is upscale, and filled with premium materials. While the base S60 can’t match the Regal’s fuel economy, it’s significantly more powerful. Like the CC, the S60 is also available with all-wheel drive.
Details: 2013 Buick Regal
The 2013 Buick Regal eAssist seats five and comes with a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine and a small electric motor. A six-speed automatic is standard. Regal Turbo and GS models come with a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine, and are also available with a six-speed manual transmission. For 2013, the Regal eAssist becomes the base trim and all Regal models get Buick’s IntelliLink infotainment system as standard equipment. The Regal Turbo also gains a standard heated steering wheel. Aside from these changes, the Regal hasn’t changed much for 2013. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from 2011 and 2012, as well as the current model year.
Next Steps: Buick Regal
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Buick Regal
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Buick Regal for sale (2,176 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Buick Regal
- See what others paid for the 2013 Buick Regal
- View Buick Regal Photos
- See Upscale Midsize Cars rankings