Buick Verano Performance
According to the automotive press, the 2013 Buick Verano has a comfortable, quiet ride and smooth manual and automatic transmissions. This year, the Verano offers a turbocharged engine, which reviewers prefer because it’s significantly more powerful than the base engine.
- "Overall, the 2013 Verano provides the kind of comfortable and capable driving experience move-up buyers expect." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Still, the Verano is devoid of surprises, smooth, and quiet. The turbo delivers a nice rush with instant throttle response." -- Popular Mechanics
Acceleration and Power
The base Buick Verano has a 2.4-liter, four-cylinder Ecotec engine that makes 180 horsepower and a standard six-speed automatic transmission. The Verano Turbo, which is new for the 2013 model year, has a 2.0-liter, turbocharged four-cylinder engine that makes 250 horsepower. It also has a six-speed automatic transmission, and a six-speed manual is a no-charge option. The base Verano averages 21/32 mpg city/highway, while the Verano Turbo averages 21/30 mpg with the automatic transmission, according to the EPA.
Most auto critics think the base engine’s available power is fine, but several think it lacks power for passing and merging maneuvers. Test drivers favor the turbocharged engine because it is significantly more powerful than the base engine. They also like its available manual transmission because it shifts gears smoothly. Reviewers who tested a Turbo model equipped with an automatic transmission also think it operates smoothly. They say the same applies to the base model.
- "The 6-speed manual transmission operates smoothly, but not as crisply as some premium-compact competitors. With either engine, the automatic transmission shifts fluidly, but the manual shift gate is useful for summoning the best acceleration." -- Consumer Guide
- "Frankly, it's an unusual sensation rowing your own in a car of the Verano's look, price and character. Add to that the gearbox's long, leisurely throws, and it's hard not to look around and double-check that you haven't been suddenly transported to Europe." -- Inside Line (Turbo)
- "With 250 hp and 260 lb-ft, this Verano gets out of the starting blocks in a hurry and is arguably quickest among its competitors. The option of the slick six-speed manual gearbox is a plus, although the standard six-speed automatic is seamless." -- Popular Mechanics (Turbo)
- "With the standard 180-horsepower 4-cylinder engine and 6-speed automatic transmission, acceleration in the Buick Verano is acceptable but not exceptional." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The power from the 2.4-liter was adequate, but much of its steam was lost above legal speeds when attempting two-lane passing maneuvers." -- Autoblog (2012)
Handling and Braking
Buick introduced the Verano Turbo this year, and reviewers aren’t impressed with its handling abilities. They think that while the Turbo has a comfortable ride, it tends to understeer, and they dislike the electric power steering system’s vague feeling. Test drivers also agree that the base Verano can handle bumpy pavement and that its steering is uninspiring. Regardless of the model, reviewers say that the Verano’s brakes are strong and responsive.
- "It gracefully absorbs surface imperfections without a floaty feeling." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Verano aims for serene ride quality over handling ability, so it doesn't feel particularly sporty for its size. Steering feel is accurate but rather lifeless, and the car exhibits moderate body lean around fast corners. The brakes, however, are strong and have good pedal feel." -- Consumer Guide
- "The Verano strikes an excellent balance between comfort and composure. It feels solid and perfectly damped, and it's once again hard not to think we're back in Europe again." -- Inside Line (Turbo)
- "The electric power steering is vague, and the defining handling trait is progressive understeer." -- Popular Mechanics (Turbo)
- "The brakes are linear, returning even response and stopping power, and the steering has a light feel off-center followed by increasing weight into maneuvers." -- AutoWeek (2012)
Next Steps: Buick Verano
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Buick Verano
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2013 Buick Verano
- Search used Buick Verano for sale (3,115 listings)
- See Upscale Small Cars rankings