2013 Cadillac ATS Review
Auto reviewers say the 2013 Cadillac ATS has great handling and ample power, but think it could benefit from more back-seat and trunk space and a less-confusing infotainment system.
The base 2013 Cadillac ATS comes with a four-cylinder engine and has rear-wheel drive, but a turbocharged four-cylinder engine, a V6 engine and all-wheel drive are available. Most reviewers suggest bypassing the base engine because the base engines in competitors are more powerful, but they do like that its fuel economy reaches 22/33 mpg city/highway. That’s good for an upscale midsize car. Test drivers also commend the ATS for its responsive manual and automatic transmissions, though they wish the manual wasn’t limited to the turbocharged engine. Car critics also like the ATS’ accurate steering and strong brakes, which bring the ATS to a smooth stop at high speeds.
Inside, the ATS comes with a strong list of standard features that includes Bluetooth, dual USB ports and a Bose stereo. Higher trims and option packages add an infotainment system, navigation and safety features like a lane departure warning system and parking sensors. Test drivers appreciate that the cabin is attractive and made with high-quality materials, but they do think its optional infotainment system takes some time to master. While the 2013 ATS seats five, most reviewers think the second-row seats are cramped for adults.
- "And welcome, Cadillac, to a place you've long wanted to be. The ATS is a solid effort that at last puts a Cadillac on par with the German competitors it has fixated on for so long." -- Automobile Magazine
- "Cadillac's biggest challenge will be to get buyers of German cars to take serious notice of the ATS. Based on this experience, we think they should give the American a shot." -- Car and Driver
- "The 2013 Cadillac ATS finally gives the U.S. a medal-worthy entry in the segment of compact sport sedans." -- Edmunds
Other Cars to Consider
The BMW 3-Series is a good alternative to the Cadillac ATS. Like the ATS, it offers turbocharged four-cylinder and V6 engines, as well as a manual transmission. In particular, reviewers like the power the four-cylinder engine delivers and say the 3-Series has exceptional handling. The 3-Series distinguishes itself from the ATS with comfortable rear seats and more cargo space.
If you like the ATS’ long list of standard features, the Acura TL is worth your consideration. Although not everyone likes its exterior styling, test drivers say that the TL’s balanced performance and spacious, comfortable interior make it a solid pick within the class.
Details: 2013 Cadillac ATS
The all-new 2013 Cadillac ATS is available in Standard, Luxury, Performance and Premium trims. The base model has rear-wheel drive and a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine. Other trims can be equipped with a more powerful 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder or 3.6-liter V6 engines, as well as all-wheel drive. Six-speed manual and automatic transmissions are available. An infotainment system and safety features like forward collision alert are optional.
Next Steps: Cadillac ATS
- View the best prices for the 2013 Cadillac ATS
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2013 Cadillac ATS
- Search used Cadillac ATS for sale (4,260 listings)
- See Upscale Midsize Cars rankings