2012 Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon Review
Test drivers note that the 2012 Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon has an impressive mix of performance, luxury and utility.
It may seem odd to love a station wagon for its performance, but that’s the way many test drivers feel about the 2012 Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon. In fact, they say highlights of the wagon are the outstanding combination of its styling, upscale interior and performance. The added practicality of a wagon body style is almost an afterthought to many automotive journalists.
However, while the CTS Sport Wagon is a luxurious and fun-to-drive wagon, so is the competition. Some reviewers give other luxury wagons, like the BMW 3-Series or Acura TSX Sport Wagon, the edge when it comes to performance. Others argue that the CTS Sport Wagon sets itself apart with an ultra-American feel that the imported competition just can’t match. Edmunds says “the 2012 Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon faces off against its competitors from across the pond while adding an ample supply of flash and grandiosity to make it unmistakably American.”
If you want flashy styling in your luxury wagon, the CTS Sport Wagon is the clear choice, and won’t disappoint you with its performance or practicality. But if styling and buying American aren’t priorities for you, the CTS Sport Wagon is still a good choice – just know that the competition will likely suit your needs as well.
Other Wagons to Consider
An obvious alternative to the CTS Sport Wagon is the BMW 3-Series Wagon. Reviewers say it sets the standard for performance in the class, and it has slightly more cargo space than the CTS Wagon. However, it doesn’t have the same “look-at-me” styling as the CTS Sport Wagon, and its powertrain warranty is shorter.
Another good alternative is the Audi A4 Avant. It has one of the nicest interiors in the class and all-wheel drive is standard.
Details: Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon
The 2012 Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon is available in four trims: base, Luxury, Performance and Premium. This year’s model is a carryover from 2011. The base engine is a 3.0-liter V6, though reviewers prefer the optional 3.6-liter V6 engine. Rear-wheel drive is standard, but all-wheel drive is available on all trims.
- "CTS is a Best Buy that shines for its refinement and performance. Wagons add an extra dose of practicality at no cost to the sedan's virtues. "--Consumer Guide
- "Are Americans willing to buy wagons? This is the question that Cadillac seems to be asking with the CTS wagon. The more practical vehicle has same fine handling, solid feel, and luxurious appointments as the sedan. "--Car and Driver
- "In fact, the Sport Wagon is nearly as spacious as the Cadillac SRX crossover, along with a number of other small luxury SUVs. Essentially, you get all the style and luxury of the CTS sedan, but in a more useful package. That sounds like a win-win scenario to us."-- Edmunds
- "Cadillac executives see station wagons as the fuel-economy-driven middle ground between cars and SUVs, and they view the CTS wagon as the Next Great Leap toward the marque's global success. To be frank, it's hard not to agree with them." -- Automobile Magazine
- "In almost all cosmetic and mechanical respects, the CTS sedan and the wagon are identical, so the reasons to buy the wagon boil down to two: the compelling exterior styling and the cargo versatility." -- Los Angeles Times
- "This is a properly designed, thoughtfully developed, well-built automobile." -- Road and Track
Next Steps: Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon for sale (5,080 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon
- View Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon Photos
- See Luxury Wagons rankings