2009 Cadillac DTS Interior
This interior review was created when the car was new. Some links may no longer point to an active page.
The DTS can seat five easily. In certain seating configurations, it can even hold six. It offers the largest trunk in its class -- so much storage space, in fact, it competes with SUVs. Its interior is filled with premium materials and large, easy-to-use gauges and buttons. Build quality inside is generally good, although a few luxury marques earn more credit for fit-and-finish.
- "The DTS cabin is roomy and luxurious. The interior was completely revised for 2006, and only detail changes have been made since then. Leather and wood abound, along with chrome accents, creating a handsome, upmarket environment." -- New Car Test Drive
- "Test cars disappointed with minor squeaks and rattles, betraying the premium image Cadillac hopes to portray. A plethora of padded cabin surfaces impresses. The overall quality of interior materials bests Lincoln but trails most import rivals." -- Consumer Guide
- "The commodious interior is well-appointed, comfortable and quiet." -- Forbes
- "Inside, the cabin doesn't disappoint. GM has made huge improvements in interior quality across the board and, in the DTS, it shows." -- Business Week
The front seats of the DTS are huge, and well-padded. An optional front bench seat allows the car to seat six, but we should caution that the car has never been safety tested as a six-seater and most safety experts recommend keeping children only in the back seat. The rear seats are large, but a few reviewers say rear seat passengers don't have much control over climate and entertainment functions, as they do in many competitors.
- "The DTS is one of the few remaining cars that offer six-passenger capacity via a front bench seat, which is available on the two lower trims in place of the standard bucket seats. Whichever configuration is specified, passengers are treated to soft yet supportive seats that offer as much legroom in back as they do in front." -- Edmunds
- "The rear seat is large enough for a couple of six-foot-plus males with a few extra pounds of girth; and fitting a smaller fifth passenger in between them is no problem. The seatbacks are nicely raked for long-range comfort. Seat heaters are available for the outboard positions." -- New Car Test Drive
- "DTS is among the roomiest, most comfortable big sedans, though its available bench seat may squeeze a middle rider. Standard bucket seats are all-day comfortable." -- Consumer Guide
- "Inside, the front is a veritable cockpit, with a dash and center control stack sloped up and away, making the interior feel spacious." -- Cars.com
- "One of the few cars on the market where you can get six seats. And of course, the back seat is a highlight."-- MSN
The DTS has updated its cabin electronics to be class-competitive, and still features user-friendly, easy-to-read gauges and large controls.
- "Low-gloss surfaces, with a three-dimensional grain, were chosen for the upper instrument panel and upper doors in order to reduce glare and absorb sunlight." -- New Car Test Drive
- "Clear analog gauges are easy to read. Minor controls are mostly handy, but some switch icons are not obvious and others are too small and hard to read in daylight. Refreshingly, the climate controls are independent of the optional navigation system, which absorbs but doesn't complicate audio functions." -- Consumer Guide
- "Those shopping the large luxury sedan segment will note that the DTS lags behind luxury stalwarts such as the Lexus LS and Mercedes S-Class in terms of interior materials quality." -- Edmunds
- "There are nice details throughout. The key-fob remote start is smart enough to tell if it's cold or hot outside and regulate the air-conditioning accordingly. The interior is lit with a sexy cold blue hue at night. The door panels, composed of multiple leathers and surfaces, look elegant and well-crafted. The analog clock is legible and -- with one button -- easy to set." -- Business Week
The DTS' trunk offers nearly 19 cubic feet of storage space -- one of the largest cargo areas available outside of an SUV.
- "And as you'd expect in a traditional American land yacht, there are acres of passenger and trunk space inside the DTS." -- Edmunds
- "Trunk lid opens to a fully vertical position, leaving a large opening for easy loading and unloading of large objects." -- Cars.com
- "The trunk swallows four golf bags and more through a large, bumper-level opening. The center pass-through opening is too small to be of real use. Folding rear seatbacks would be more useful. Interior storage space is limited." -- Consumer Guide