2014 Cadillac Escalade Review
In its final model year before a complete redesign, test drivers say the 2014 Cadillac Escalade is still comfortable, strong and stylish, but falls short of rivals that are more maneuverable, get better fuel economy and have more opulent interiors.
The Escalade is powered by a V8 engine that auto writers say makes more than enough power. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard, which is praised for its quick shifts. The Escalade achieves an EPA-estimated 14/18 mpg city/highway, which is on par for the class. Some reviewers say that because of its large size, the 2014 Escalade doesn't feel very agile and can be difficult to maneuver in tight spaces. However, others think that the Escalade offers acceptable handling, and praise it for its smooth, comfortable ride. A few test drivers say that the Escalade’s brakes are strong, but note a fair amount of nose dive under hard braking.
Test drivers say the Cadillac Escalade has a cabin that’s constructed with mostly high-quality materials, though some note a few interior trim pieces are built with cheaper plastics. Most test drivers say that the Escalade's front seats are spacious and comfortable, though some note that the third row is best left to small kids. The Escalade has more cargo room than many rivals, and the long-wheelbase Escalade ESV has even more cargo space. Still, critics say that the third-row seats must be removed to maximize that cargo space. The Escalade lacks Cadillac's CUE infotainment system, and while some reviewers say the center stack doesn't look as modern without it, they also write that it is easier to control the stereo and climate systems as a result. Notable standard features include a 10-speaker stereo, tri-zone climate control, navigation, Bluetooth, heated and cooled front seats, heated second-row captain’s chairs, rear parking sensors and a backup camera. Major options include blind-spot warning, temperature-regulated cupholders and a rear-seat entertainment system.
- "Though a new Escalade is likely imminent, few vehicles on the market today have the street presence or in-your-face style of this big Cadillac SUV. The basic design is getting dated, but it still does a pretty good job blending luxury and ability." -- Consumer Guide
- "To its credit, the 2014 Cadillac Escalade maintains the attributes that made it so popular in the first place, including bold styling, a powerful V8, strong towing capacity, an upscale interior and a long list of standard features and desirable options. But driving an Escalade is no longer as fashionable as it once was, and alongside the newer offerings in this price range, this large luxury SUV is outdated." -- Edmunds
- "There are many 7- and 8-passenger crossover SUVs that offer better fuel-efficiency and handling than the Escalade, but few can match the Cadillac's sheer presence or hauling practicality." -- Kelley Blue Book
Other SUVs to Consider
The Mercedes-Benz GL-Class earns praise for its opulent interior and refined ride. Additionally, reviewers love the GL-Class’ base diesel engine, which helps it achieve great fuel economy for the class.
With a stylish cabin, strong engines choices and nimble handling, reviewers agree that the Land Rover Range Rover is a great choice in the class. The Range Rover is also billed as a great SUV for off-roading, and the base Range Rover also gets better fuel economy than the Escalade.
Details: 2014 Cadillac Escalade
The 2014 Cadillac Escalade seats up to eight and has standard rear-wheel drive. All-wheel drive is optional. Power comes from a 6.2-liter V8 engine, which is mated to a six-speed automatic transmission. Two body styles are offered, including the standard Escalade and the long-wheelbase Escalade ESV. There are four trims: base, Luxury, Premium and Platinum. The Escalade EXT and Escalade Hybrid are discontinued for 2014. The Escalade was last redesigned for the 2007 model year and has received a few updates since then. Since there are no major changes for 2014, this overview uses applicable reviews and research from the 2007 to 2014 model years.
Next Steps: Cadillac Escalade
- View the best prices for the 2014 Cadillac Escalade
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Cadillac Escalade
- Search used Cadillac Escalade for sale (9,610 listings)
- See Luxury Large SUVs rankings