Cadillac XTS Review
The 2014 Cadillac XTS ranks 10 out of 13 Luxury Large Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Cadillac XTS, as well as reliability and safety data.
Automotive writers like the 2014 Cadillac XTS’ comfortable ride, very roomy cabin and powerful Vsport model, but they say a complicated infotainment system could limit its appeal.
The XTS comes standard with a V6 engine that reviewers think provides adequate power, while the Cadillac XTS Vsport gets a twin-turbocharged V6 that critics think delivers impressive acceleration. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard, and reviewers say it is well-matched to the standard V6. The base XTS gets an EPA-estimated 18/28 mpg city/highway, which is a bit low for a V6-powered luxury large car. Most automotive journalists write that the 2014 XTS has strong brakes, a smooth ride and handling that should be composed enough for most drivers. Still, some test drivers say that the XTS Vsport isn’t athletic enough for spirited driving on a winding road.
The interior of the Cadillac XTS draws praise from reviewers for its high-quality materials, top-notch construction and attractive design. They say that the driver and passengers will enjoy the quiet, spacious cabin and comfortable seats. The XTS stands out with one of the largest trunks in the class. Some critics find the infotainment system difficult to use, saying that it needlessly complicates basic audio and climate functions. The 2014 Cadillac XTS comes standard with leather upholstery, power-adjustable front seats, push-button start, rear parking sensors, dual-zone automatic climate control, an eight-speaker Bose audio system, satellite and HD Radio, Cadillac’s CUE infotainment system and Bluetooth phone and audio streaming. Available features include heated front and rear seats, ventilated front seats, a heated steering wheel, a sunroof, tri-zone automatic climate control, navigation, a 14-speaker surround-sound audio system, a dual-screen rear-seat Blu-Ray player and a backup camera. Adaptive cruise control, forward collision warning, blind spot monitoring, lane departure warning and automatic parking assistance are also available.
- "The 2014 Cadillac XTS is a great car for shoppers interested in comfort and utility over driving enjoyment. Yes, the Vsport livens things up, but the XTS model's front-wheel-drive-based platform will never top rear-wheel-drive rivals for handling prowess." -- AutoTrader
- "The 2014 Cadillac XTS's roomy, up-to-date cabin and newly available turbocharged V6 make it a compelling full-size luxury sedan." -- Edmunds
- "It's very quiet, it's very comfortable, it's very roomy and it even handles pretty well. It could be better, though, and that's where the Vsport comes in." -- Motor Trend
- "If you want your big cruiser to be engaging when the road twists, a more performance-oriented car like the rear-drive BMW 5-Series can scratch that itch. We must also mention the CUE infotainment system. Its complexity and lack of intuitiveness could be a deal-breaker, so we advise giving it a full test-drive, too." -- Kelley Blue Book
Other Cars to Consider
Reviewers enjoy driving the Audi A6 because it has a powerful new diesel engine option and athletic handling. They are equally impressed with its attractive, comfortable cabin.
Test drivers think the Lexus GS 350 has sporty handling, a smooth ride and a powerful, refined V6 engine. The GS also has excellent safety and reliability scores.
Details: 2014 Cadillac XTS
The 2014 Cadillac XTS seats five and is available in Standard, Luxury, Premium, Platinum, Vsport Premium and Vsport Platinum trims. A 3.6-liter V6 engine, a six-speed automatic transmission and front-wheel drive are standard, and all-wheel drive is optional. The XTS was all-new last year, and not much has changed apart from the addition of the Vsport trims. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2013 and 2014 model years.
Next Steps: Cadillac XTS
- View the best prices for the 2014 Cadillac XTS
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Cadillac XTS
- Search used Cadillac XTS for sale (1,074 listings)
- See Luxury Large Cars rankings