Chevrolet Avalanche Review
The 2013 Chevrolet Avalanche ranks 6 out of 10 Full Size Pickup Trucks. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Chevrolet Avalanche, as well as reliability and safety data.
Now in its final year of production, auto reviewers say that the 2013 Chevrolet Avalanche continues to offer a a comfortable interior and a strong engine. However, its high base price curbs its appeal.
The 2013 Chevrolet Avalanche has a V8 engine, which reivewers say provides plenty of power. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard, which also earns praise for its smooth, refined operation. The EPA reports that the 2013 Avalanche gets 15/21 mpg city/highway, which is better than the Nissan Titan, but not as good as the Ram 1500. Many auto writers say that the Avalanche rides and handles better than most full-size trucks, noting that its small turning circle makes the Avalanche more maneuverable than you might think.
Auto writers say that the 2013 Avalanche has a spacious, comfortable cabin, which looks similar to the Chevrolet Suburban and Tahoe from the back seats forward. However, a few test drivers note that some plastic trim looks a little cheap considering the Avalanche’s price. Still, most critics are impressed with the Avalanche’s versatile bed and cargo area. A midgate behind the back seat can be lowered to expand cargo space from the bed into the cab, while a standard tonneau cover can keep cargo hidden from the elements. Reviewers also appreciate the Avalanche’s functional cabin design and straightforward audio and climate controls, as well as an optional navigation system that’s easy to use. Standard features include an auto-dimming rearview mirror with integrated backup camera, rear parking sensors and a six-speaker stereo with satellite radio, Bluetooth and a USB port. A Bose stereo, navigation, leather upholstery, heated and cooled front seats, dual-zone automatic climate control and a sunroof are optional or available on higher trims.
- "Are you looking for the utility of a pickup truck with the comfort and road manners of an SUV? Well, you better act fast, as the 2013 Chevrolet Black Diamond Avalanche marks the end of the line for this automotive cross-breeding experiment." -- Edmunds
- "The 2013 Chevrolet Avalanche truck is part pickup, part SUV and entirely practical." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Shopping for a pickup truck primarily for passenger use? Check out the Avalanche. It offers a special blend of useful passenger accommodations, expandable cargo room, big-truck muscle, and friendly road manners." -- Consumer Guide (2012)
- "Even after 5 years with the same basic design and configuration, nothing about the Avalanche feels particularly dated or out of sync with GM's current full-size SUV offerings." -- Motor Trend (2012)
Other Trucks to Consider
Reviewers say that the Ford F-150 SuperCrew is extremely roomy inside, and that its seats are comfortable and supportive. The F-150 SuperCrew also has a lower starting price and can tow a bit more when properly equipped.
The Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab also costs less, but reviewers say it still offers a spacious and comfortable interior, just like the Avalanche. Additionally, reviewers appreciate the Silverado’s comfortable ride and functional interior with straightforward controls.
Details: 2013 Chevrolet Avalanche
The 2013 Chevrolet Avalanche seats five and comes with rear-wheel drive. Four-wheel drive is optional, and a 5.3-liter V8 engine and six-speed automatic transmission come standard in all models. The Avalanche comes in three trims: LS, LT and LTZ. Each trim adds interior features and upgrades some interior materials. This year, all Avalanche models receive a Black Diamond Avalanche badge to commemorate 2013 as the final year of production. That aside, the Avalanche sees no major changes for 2013. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from 2007 through 2013.
Next Steps: Chevrolet Avalanche
- View the best prices for the 2013 Chevrolet Avalanche
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2013 Chevrolet Avalanche
- Search used Chevrolet Avalanche for sale (2,043 listings)
- See Full Size Pickup Trucks rankings