2010 Chevrolet Camaro Review
The coveted 2010 Chevy Camaro is a homerun, according to our analysis. Auto critics find that it not only looks the part of an old school muscle car, but also has the performance chops to match its bad-boy image. Not surprisingly, the Camaro was a finalist for Motor Trend's "Car of the Year."
When Chevy introduced the Camaro concept at the 2007 Detroit auto show, it immediately set the automotive world abuzz. Hailed as the return of the muscle car, the Camaro was considered a success by many even before a single car had rolled off the line. Cutting-edge styling, nostalgic appeal and a starring role in the Hollywood blockbuster "Transformers" have made the Chevrolet Camaro one of the most anticipated cars of 2009. And now that the Camaro is on dealer lots, we learn that it wasn't all hype. In fact, Automobile Magazine writes, "After forty years of compromises and letdowns, it's nice to see a pony car that behaves the way that we've always thought one should."
In addition to its highly praised retro exterior design, the 2010 Camaro features a powerful 304 horsepower V6 engine and very competitive straight line performance. Like many muscle cars, however, its cabin is plagued by sub par materials and limited visibility. What's more, many of its rivals offer more backseat room. Still, taken as a whole, reviewers are happy with the return of the much-loved Camaro.
Other Muscle Cars to Consider
While some competitors' base trims provide muscle-car looks without muscle-car power, the V6 Camaro has both. In terms of power and performance, it's arguably the best V6 muscle car on the market. Rivals, however, offer more engine choices that don't require shoppers to upgrade to top-of-the-line performance trims to match. If you're in the market for a V6 muscle car, buy the Camaro. For V8 power, test drive the Dodge Challenger R/T and Charger R/T, which feature HEMI engines that produce 372 horsepower and 368 horsepower, respectively. The 355-horsepower Pontiac G8 GT is also a worthwhile competitor to check out -- especially if you need a backseat that's roomy enough to fit adult passengers.
Details: Chevrolet Camaro
The 2010 Camaro is available in three trims, LS, 1LT, and 2LT. A high-performance Camaro SS trim is also available, but covered in a separate review. Be sure to check for current Chevy deals that may be available on the Camaro.
- "OK, we're going to get straight to the point here. The 2010 Chevrolet Camaro rocks. After years of anticipation, Chevy's new Camaro not only lives up to the hype but also redefines what a muscle car can be." -- Edmunds
- "In an era when 'mega-ultra-hyped blockbuster' often means 'I wasted my money on that?' the new Chevy Camaro pushes back against unfulfilled expectations. It delivers. The look is there. The performance is there. The value is there." -- Motor Trend
- "It's a great combination of performance, economy and affordability. All of which means buyers of the base-level Camaro won't have to take a back seat to anyone." -- Road and Track
- "[T]his car should make quite a splash with its affordable price and classic muscle car feel because the 2010 Camaro really is the perfect blend of old and new." -- Carseek
- "Look at the value-for-money and the performance numbers of the Camaro combined with its Dragon-tastic looks and you can't help but feel GM has a winner on its hands. It'll beat its competitors hands down, not only in a numbers-based pissing contest, but also in the public's imaginations: an advantage presented by its futuristic-yet-retro styling." -- Jalopnik
- "After three years anticipating and two hours driving the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro, there's not much to be disappointed about." -- AutoWeek
- "If you want a great-looking car that expresses your personality without forcing you to take out a second mortgage on the declining value of your home, you have to like the Camaro." -- Kelley Blue Book
Next Steps: Chevrolet Camaro
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Chevrolet Camaro for sale (8,132 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Chevrolet Camaro
- View Chevrolet Camaro Photos
- See Affordable Sports Cars rankings