Chevrolet Cruze Review
The 2015 Chevrolet Cruze ranks 7 out of 41 Affordable Small Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Chevrolet Cruze, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Chevrolet Cruze has a comfortable ride, balanced handling, a potent diesel engine option and a large trunk for the class, test drivers say.
The 2015 Chevy Cruze has a base four-cylinder engine, and an optional turbocharged four-cylinder engine that reviewers say feels more powerful than the base engine and delivers adequate acceleration. The Cruze is also available with a four-cylinder diesel engine, which they say delivers quick acceleration. A six-speed manual transmission is standard on gas-powered models, and a six-speed automatic is available. Critics note that the automatic transmission is slow to downshift when more power is needed. With an automatic transmission and base engine, the 2015 Cruze gets slightly low fuel economy for the class, at an EPA-estimated 25/36 mpg city/highway. However, the Cruze Diesel gets 27/46 mpg, which is great for the class. Test drivers report that the Cruze rides comfortably and has composed handling, though a few mention that rivals like the Mazda3 feel more agile.
The 2015 Chevrolet Cruze's cabin is built with hard plastics that some critics say are nicely textured, though others think seem cheap. Most test drivers say the Cruze's front seats are supportive and comfortable. Some say the rear seats offer plenty of space, but others mention that some rivals offer more rear-seat legroom, especially for taller passengers. The 2015 Cruze has a very spacious trunk for the class. Standard features include a USB port, Bluetooth and OnStar with 4G LTE and a built-in Wi-Fi hot spot. Optional features include a rearview camera, a nine-speaker Pioneer audio system, navigation, blind spot monitoring and Chevy's voice-controlled MyLink infotainment system with a 7-inch touch screen. According to reviewers, MyLink's menus are user-friendly and the voice commands are useful, but the system is slow to respond to some inputs.
- "The Chevrolet Cruze is a compact sedan with an appealing blend of fuel efficiency, elegant styling and overall refinement." -- Left Lane News
- "Although the 2015 Chevrolet Cruze doesn't dominate the small car class, it's on equal footing with most competitors and certainly worth a look if you're shopping for a fuel-efficient compact sedan with solid credentials in most areas." -- Edmunds
- "Even if you're still wary of diesel, the rest of the Cruze lineup is excellent and well worth your consideration." -- Consumer Guide
- "Leading the pack is the 2015 Chevrolet Cruze compact sedan, a thoroughly complete small car offering an impressive array of features and trims." -- Kelley Blue Book
Other Cars to Consider
Reviewers say the Volkswagen Jetta has spacious rear seats, and is one of the few other compact sedans in the class available with a diesel engine. The diesel-powered Jetta TDI gets great fuel economy for the class, and test drivers think the Jetta has nimble handling.
According to reviewers, the Honda Civic has spacious rear seats and top-notch cabin materials. Test drivers like the Civic's smooth-shifting automatic transmission, and the base Civic uses less fuel than the base Cruze.
Details: 2015 Chevrolet Cruze
The 2015 Chevrolet Cruze seats five and is available in six trim levels: LS, 1LT, Eco, 2LT, LTZ and Diesel. A 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine is standard. A 1.4-liter turbocharged four-cylinder is optional (standard on Cruze Eco), and the Cruze Diesel has a turbocharged 2.0-liter diesel engine. A six-speed manual transmission is standard and a six-speed automatic is available. The Cruze gets updated exterior styling and some new tech features for 2015 but is otherwise largely unchanged since it debuted for the 2011 model year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2011 through 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Chevrolet Cruze
- View the best prices for the 2015 Chevrolet Cruze
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Chevrolet Cruze
- Search used Chevrolet Cruze for sale (19,477 listings)
- See Affordable Small Cars rankings