Chevrolet Cruze Review
The 2014 Chevrolet Cruze ranks 4 out of 40 Affordable Small Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Chevrolet Cruze, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2014 Chevrolet Cruze delivers strong performance and a high-quality, roomy interior for a compact car. Reviewers also like its new fuel-efficient diesel engine option.
The Chevrolet Cruze offers three engine options: a base four-cylinder, a turbocharged four-cylinder and a turbo diesel four-cylinder. A six-speed manual transmission is standard, and a six-speed automatic is optional. A different six-speed automatic transmission comes on the diesel model. The base Cruze gets up to 25/36 mpg city/highway. The diesel Cruze gets 27/46 mpg, which is great for a compact car. Test drivers say the Cruze with the base four-cylinder engine can feel a little weak from a stop, but they’re pleased with the power from the turbocharged four-cylinder and new turbo diesel, which they say are plenty powerful overall. The Cruze is also commended for its nimble handling and comfortable ride.
Critics agree that the 2014 Cruze has an upscale cabin, especially for an affordable small car. They like the interior design, as well as the amount of cabin and trunk space. The Chevrolet Cruze’s climate and audio controls, as well as its optional infotainment system, receive positive comments from test drivers for being clear-cut and simple to use. Standard features include 10 air bags, a six-speaker CD audio system, USB and auxiliary jacks, satellite radio capability, Bluetooth, remote keyless entry and a tilt and telescopic steering wheel. Available features include a rearview camera, rear park assist, rear cross traffic alert, blind spot monitoring, cruise control, a power sunroof, a nine-speaker Pioneer audio system, remote start and Chevrolet’s MyLink infotainment system, which includes a 7-inch touch screen, navigation and Pandora Internet radio connectivity.
- “The Cruze stands out from other compacts with its comfort-oriented ride and overall feeling of solidity and strength." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "It's hard not to take a shine to the 2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel. Big-torque performance and hybrid-baiting efficiency is an alluring combination, while the Cruze's intrinsic goodness continues to impress three years after its launch." -- Edmunds
- "Cruze shines for its refined drivetrains, solid body structure, and inviting cabin." -- Consumer Guide
- "It's simple--this is a nice car. From the sharp, crisp exterior lines to the quality interior and handling, the Cruze shined. This shine wasn't in a flashy manner either; it's classy, and economically classy at that." -- AutoWeek (2011 Cruze Eco)
Other Cars to Consider
Critics agree that the Mazda3 is a good choice if owning a fun-to-drive car with nimble handling is your priority. The Mazda3 also has good fuel economy ratings for the class and is sold in a hatchback version if you need more cargo space.
Like the Mazda3, reviewers say the Ford Focus has engaging handling and is entertaining to drive. The Focus is also available in a hatchback body style.
Details: 2014 Chevrolet Cruze
The 2014 Chevrolet Cruze is available in six trim levels: LS, 1LT, Eco, 2LT, LTZ and Cruze Turbo Diesel. Three four-cylinder engines are offered: a 1.8-liter, a 1.4-liter turbocharged and a 2.0-liter turbocharged diesel. A six-speed manual is standard and a six-speed automatic is optional. The diesel Cruze, which is new for 2014, has a different six-speed automatic. The five-seat Chevrolet Cruze debuted for the 2011 model year. Besides the new diesel model, it doesn’t receive any other significant changes for 2014, so this overview uses applicable research and reviews from 2011, 2012 and 2013, as well as 2014.
Next Steps: Chevrolet Cruze
- View the best prices for the 2014 Chevrolet Cruze
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Chevrolet Cruze
- Search used Chevrolet Cruze for sale (23,452 listings)
- See Affordable Small Cars rankings