Chevrolet Equinox Review
The 2014 Chevrolet Equinox ranks 12 out of 22 Affordable Compact SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Chevrolet Equinox, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2014 Chevrolet Equinox is ranked:
Though it’s not the most athletic SUV in the class, test drivers like the 2014 Chevrolet Equinox’s smooth ride, roomy seats and powerful available V6.
The 2014 Equinox comes with a four-cylinder engine that critics think is underpowered. A V6 engine is also available, and reviewers prefer the additional power that it provides. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard, and test drivers write that it performs well with either engine. The base Equinox gets 22/32 mpg city/highway, which is good for an affordable compact SUV. Automotive journalists appreciate the Equinox’s comfortable ride, and note that it handles adequately. However, some also write that SUVs like the Ford Escape and Mazda CX-5 are more athletic. As a result, many agree that the Equinox isn’t very fun to drive.
Reviewers say the Equinox has an attractive, spacious cabin that is well-built and features quality materials. They agree that the front and rear seats are roomy and comfortable. The Equinox offers a good amount of cargo space for the class, though it has a bit less cargo space than rivals like the Honda CR-V. Reviewers write that the Equinox has straightforward controls and that the optional infotainment system is easy to use. The 2014 Chevrolet Equinox comes standard with a six-speaker stereo with auxiliary and USB ports, satellite radio and Bluetooth phone connectivity. Available features include leather upholstery, heated front seats, Chevy’s MyLink infotainment system, navigation, a rear-seat entertainment system, a backup camera, forward collision alert, lane departure warning and a power liftgate.
- "The 2014 Chevy Equinox is a worthy choice for a small crossover SUV, particularly if you're interested in one with a nice highway ride and an available V6 engine." -- Edmunds
- "If [you] want a comfortable family/gear hauler that's larger than other compact crossover SUVs but small enough to be at ease in parking lots, the Equinox is worth a look." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "But if you have to have a V6 and you like a SUV with all the trimmings and don't mind paying more for it -- the Equinox still makes a solid case for itself." -- AutoWeek (2013)
- "Considering the speed at which the segment turns over-and the excellence found within it-Chevy needed to tinker with the Equinox, an entry that has never been fully competitive. But slightly improved handling and more power only go so far, and they do nothing for the poor rear visibility, hefty curb weight, and overall lackluster dynamics that keep this Chevy behind much of its competition. We'd consider hitting the Ford, Mazda, or Honda stores instead." -- Car and Driver (2013)
Other SUVs to Consider
Reviewers agree that the Honda CR-V has an attractive, spacious interior and impressive tech features. It also offers more cargo space than the Equinox.
The Mazda CX-5 gets excellent fuel economy for an affordable compact SUV, and reviewers say it has a roomy, high-quality cabin. Auto writers also say it is one of the most fun-to-drive vehicles in its class.
Details: 2014 Chevrolet Equinox
The 2014 Chevrolet Equinox seats five. It is available in four trim levels: LS, 1LT, 2LT and LTZ. A 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine is standard across all trims. A 3.6-liter V6 is available on all but the base LS. A six-speed automatic is standard with either engine. Front-wheel drive is standard and all-wheel drive is optional. The Equinox hasn’t changed much since it was redesigned for 2010. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2010 through 2014 model years.
Next Steps: Chevrolet Equinox
- View the best prices for the 2014 Chevrolet Equinox
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Chevrolet Equinox
- Search used Chevrolet Equinox for sale (14,415 listings)
- See Affordable Compact SUVs rankings