Chevrolet Equinox Review
The 2013 Chevrolet Equinox ranks 4 out of 21 Affordable Compact SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of 32 published reviews and test drives of the Chevrolet Equinox, and our analysis of reliability and safety data.
The 2013 Chevrolet Equinox is ranked:
With more power from its optional V6 and a better ride for 2013, the Chevrolet Equinox adds to its appeal as a versatile affordable compact SUV.
The 2013 Chevrolet Equinox receives an all-new V6 engine option, offering more power with equal fuel economy compared with the V6 it replaces. The four-cylinder model remains unchanged, and it still retains one of the best fuel economy figures in the class. V6 models also receive some suspension updates for 2013, and test drivers say the changes give the Equinox a more buttoned-down feel on the road. Overall, reviewers like the Equinox’s comfortable ride and smooth-shifting automatic transmission. They like the updates to the V6 powertrain, but some maintain that they’d still pick the four-cylinder unit, as it offers adequate power and gets super fuel economy. Good safety and reliability scores also help the 2013 Equinox stand out from the pack.
Reviewers say one of the highlights of the Equinox is its cabin, which they say is spacious, comfortable and well-assembled. While the five-seat Equinox doesn’t have the largest cargo area in the class, they appreciate the flexibility of the sliding second row, which can be moved forward to accommodate more cargo or back to make taller passengers more comfortable. The base trim comes standard with an auxiliary input jack and Bluetooth. Chevrolet’s MyLink infotainment system is added to the option list on higher trims.
- "The update for 2013 may not be visual, but it brings with it three welcome new additions: General Motors' ubiquitous 3.6-liter V-6, Chevrolet's MyLink infotainment system, and a new set of dual-flow dampers for the front suspension. This may not sound like much, but it has given Chevy's small crossover a whole new character." -- Automobile Magazine
- "Considering the speed at which the segment turns over-and the excellence found within it-Chevy needed to tinker with the Equinox, an entry that has never been fully competitive. But slightly improved handling and more power only go so far, and they do nothing for the poor rear visibility, hefty curb weight, and overall lackluster dynamics that keep this Chevy behind much of its competition. We'd consider hitting the Ford, Mazda, or Honda stores instead." -- Car and Driver
- "If you want a small-but-not-too-small SUV with plenty of passenger space, a comfortable ride and good fuel economy, consider the 2013 Chevy Equinox. Those who need to tow will appreciate the 3,500-pound pull rating on V6 models." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "This second generation of Chevrolet's compact crossover now offers a distinctive look and a level of refinement that makes it a viable alternative to the long-popular category leaders from Honda and Toyota." -- Edmunds (2012)
Other SUVs to Consider
The Mazda CX-5 has one of the highest fuel economy ratings in the class. Reviewers say that it could use a bit more power, but overall, they are pleased by the CX-5’s sporty, crisp handling. It doesn’t have the most outstanding reliability score in the class, but its safety scores are among the highest.
If you’re looking for something with a third row, the Toyota RAV4 is one of your few options in this class. Critics say it has good performance, especially with its potent V6 engine option. Its four-cylinder fuel economy doesn’t match the Equinox’s, but its V6 does get better mileage than a V6 Equinox. The RAV4 also has a strong reliability score.
Details: 2013 Chevrolet Equinox
The 2013 Chevrolet Equinox is available in several trim levels: LS, 1LT, 2LT and LTZ. A four-cylinder engine is standard across the board, and the V6 option is available on all but the base model. All-wheel drive is also available on all trims. For 2013, the base four-cylinder engine is unchanged, while the V6 is more powerful. Chevrolet’s MyLink infotainment system is optional on the 2LT an LTZ trim levels.
Next Steps: Chevrolet Equinox
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Chevrolet Equinox
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Chevrolet Equinox for sale (15,246 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Chevrolet Equinox
- See what others paid for the 2013 Chevrolet Equinox
- View Chevrolet Equinox Photos
- See Affordable Compact SUVs rankings