Chevrolet Equinox Review
The 2015 Chevrolet Equinox ranks 9 out of 27 Affordable Compact SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Chevrolet Equinox, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Chevrolet Equinox is ranked:
According to test drivers, the 2015 Chevrolet Equinox has spacious seating and a quiet, comfortable ride, but it isn't very engaging to drive and the base engine could use more power.
Most automotive journalists write that the 2015 Chevy Equinox's standard four-cylinder engine doesn't have enough power for accelerating to highway speeds. With its optional V6, reviewers report that the Equinox has sufficient power but still isn't particularly quick. The standard six-speed automatic transmission shifts smoothly, according to critics. With an EPA-estimated 22/32 mpg city/highway, the 2015 Equinox gets good fuel economy for the class. Reviewers agree that the Equinox doesn't round corners as confidently as some rivals. However, they say it delivers excellent ride comfort and a nearly silent cabin.
The 2015 Equinox's cabin is well-built and handsome, according to reviewers. Standard features in the Equinox include Wi-Fi provided by OnStar 4G LTE (subscription required), a USB port, Bluetooth phone connectivity and satellite radio. Optional features include an eight-speaker Pioneer audio system, Bluetooth audio streaming, Chevy’s MyLink infotainment system with a 7-inch touch screen, navigation, remote start, a rear-seat entertainment system, automatic climate control, a rearview camera, forward collision alert, rear parking sensors and lane departure warning. Some reviewers think the available MyLink system is easy to operate, but others note that it can be slow and unresponsive. A few test drivers say the audio and climate controls are well-marked and easy to use. However, a few say there are too many dashboard controls and some are just out of reach from the driver’s seat. The Chevrolet Equinox's 63.7 cubic feet of cargo space is above average for the class, but rivals like the Ford Escape and Subaru Forester offer a little more room.
- "The 2015 Chevy Equinox is a worthy choice for a small crossover SUV, particularly if you're interested in one with a nice highway ride and an available V6 engine, but some newer competitors may be a better choice." -- Edmunds
- "Alongside its GMC counterpart, the Terrain, the Equinox is well rounded with equal strengths in quality, functionality and drivability. This sets it apart from competitors that excel only in certain areas. With the Equinox, you get a jack-of-all-trades vehicle but, as the rest of the saying goes, a master of none. For a family-centric people mover, that can be a good thing." -- AutoTrader
- "If [you] want a comfortable family/gear hauler that's larger than other compact crossover SUVs but small enough to be at ease in parking lots, the Equinox is worth a look." -- Kelley Blue Book (2014)
- "But if you have to have a V6 and you like a SUV with all the trimmings and don't mind paying more for it -- the Equinox still makes a solid case for itself." -- AutoWeek (2013)
Other SUVs to Consider
Reviewers say the Mazda CX-5’s sporty handling makes it one of most fun-to-drive SUVs in the class. It also earns slightly better fuel economy estimates than the Equinox, and test drivers like the CX-5’s clean, upscale cabin design.
The Ford Escape offers a powerful turbocharged engine and agile handling, reviewers write. It also has a handsome cabin and premium materials, they add. Additionally, the Escape has a bit more cargo space than the Equinox.
Details: 2015 Chevrolet Equinox
The 2015 Chevrolet Equinox seats five and comes with front-wheel drive. All-wheel drive is optional. A 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine is standard, and a 3.6-liter V6 engine is available. A six-speed automatic is standard with either engine. The Equinox is available in four trim levels: LS, 1LT, 2LT and LTZ. The Equinox hasn’t changed much since it was redesigned for 2010. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2010 through 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Chevrolet Equinox
- View the best prices for the 2015 Chevrolet Equinox
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Chevrolet Equinox
- Search used Chevrolet Equinox for sale (16,642 listings)
- See Affordable Compact SUVs rankings