2012 Chevrolet Express Recalls & Reliability
There have been 3 safety recalls issued from NHTSA.
STEERING:GEAR BOX:SHAFT PITMANRecall Date: 03/22/2012
- Summary: GENERAL MOTORS (GM) IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2012 CHEVROLET EXPRESS AND SUBURBAN VEHICLES, AND GMC SAVANA AND YUKON XL HEAVY DUTY VEHICLES. THE STEERING GEAR PITMAN SHAFT MAY NOT HAVE BEEN ADEQUATELY HARDENED AND COULD FRACTURE.
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 6,159
- Consequence: IF THIS CONDITION OCCURS, A LOSS OF STEERING COULD RESULT, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
- Remedy: GM WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE STEERING GEAR AND, IF NECESSARY, REPLACE THE STEERING GEAR PITMAN SHAFT. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON APRIL 4, 2012.
- Notes: GM?S SAFETY RECALL CAMPAIGN NUMBER IS 12055. CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 12V112000
AIR BAGSRecall Date: 11/07/2011
- Summary: GM IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2012 CHEVROLET EXPRESS AND GMC SAVANA VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM JUNE 2, 2011, THROUGH OCTOBER 17, 2011. THE SECOND STAGE OF THE DUAL-STAGE AIR BAG WILL NOT INFLATE IN A SEVERE FRONTAL IMPACT. ACCORDINGLY, THE AIR BAGS FAIL TO CONFORM TO THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY NO. 208, "OCCUPANT CRASH PROTECTION."
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 1,798
- Consequence: AN IMPROPERLY DEPLOYED AIR BAG WILL INCREASE THE RISK OF INJURY TO THE OCCUPANT.
- Remedy: GM WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL INSTALL A NEW FRONT PASSENGER AIR BAG FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING NOVEMBER 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT GMC AT 1-800-462-8782 OR CHEVROLET AT 1-800-222-1020.
- Notes: GM'S RECALL CAMPAIGN NUMBER IS 11302. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 11V543000
AIR BAGSRecall Date: 14V117000
- Summary: General Motors LLC (GM) is recalling certain model year 2009-2014 Chevrolet Express and GMC Savana vans manufactured January 27, 2009, through March 7, 2014 with a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds and less and equipped with front passenger air bags. In the affected vehicles, during a frontal impact below the air bag deployment threshold, if an unbelted front passenger's head hits the instrument panel above where the passenger air bag is located, the panel may not sufficiently absorb the impact. As such, these vehicles fail to meet the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard number 201, "Occupant Protection in Interior Impact."
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 303,013
- Consequence: In the event of a crash below the air bag deployment threshold, an unbelted front passenger seat occupant has an increased risk of injury.
- Remedy: GM will notify owners. The manufacturer has not yet provided a remedy plan or notification schedule. Chevrolet owners may call 1-800-630-2438. GMC owners may call 1-866-996-9463. GM's number for this recall is 14082.
- Notes: Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
- NHTSA Campaign ID: MAR 17, 2014
Chevrolet covers the 2012 Express with a three-year/36,000-mile basic warranty and a five-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty, which also includes 24/7 roadside assistance and courtesy transportation. That powertrain warranty is the same as the warranty on the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter and is 40,000 miles more than the Ford E-Series’ warranty.
Warranty information last updated: 10/9/13
Next Steps: Chevrolet Express