Chevrolet Impala Review
The 2013 Chevrolet Impala ranks 7 out of 7 Affordable Large Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of 58 published reviews and test drives of the Chevrolet Impala, and our analysis of reliability and safety data.
The 2013 Chevrolet Impala offers plenty of power and a large trunk. However, the Impala also disappoints reviewers with its uninspiring handling and basic interior.
Test drivers approve of the 2013 Chevrolet Impala’s powerful V6 engine and smooth-shifting six-speed automatic transmission, both of which debuted in the 2012 model. The Impala’s 18/30 mpg fuel economy also earns positive comments from reviewers. However, if you’re seeking a fuel-efficient affordable large car, the 2013 Impala still trails most of its rivals. Competitors like the Buick LaCrosse eAssist, Chrysler 300 and Hyundai Azera all use less fuel than the Impala. Additionally, test drivers agree that the Chevy Impala could strike a better balance between ride comfort and handling. They say that while the Impala’s comfort-tuned suspension excels on the highway, its cumbersome handling keeps the Impala from being much fun to drive. The 2013 Impala also falls short with safety ratings that are lower than most cars in the class.
Inside, the 2013 Chevy Impala has some unique attributes within the class. An optional front bench seat makes the Impala the last sedan on the market to offer seating for six, and its cavernous trunk has more space than most cars in the class. However, reviewers note some cheap interior materials, and say that despite its passenger capacity, the Impala is not the most comfortable car in the segment. If you’re shopping for a car with the latest tech features, the Impala may also disappoint. It comes with Bluetooth phone connectivity and OnStar as standard equipment, but a navigation system is not available on the 2013 Impala. The latest safety tech is also missing, as features like blind spot monitoring and lane departure warning systems are unavailable.
- "Driving the 2013 Chevy Impala is about as straightforward as it gets, but competitors such as the Ford Taurus, Chrysler 300, Toyota Avalon and the Nissan Maxima all offer a higher degree of style and sophistication." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Despite a spacious cabin and comfortable ride, the 2012 Chevrolet Impala is outdone by most competitors. You can do better." -- Edmunds (2012)
- "From the federal government to your local parks and recreation department, the big bland sedan is a no-brainer for many bottom-liners. But they're not the ones who have to drive it every day." -- Fox News (2012)
- "Chevrolet's venerable midsize car is affordable, relatively roomy, and has competent road manners. Still, this sedan feels dated when compared to class leaders." -- Consumer Guide (2011)
Other Cars to Consider
The Ford Taurus costs slightly more than the Impala, but it also has a larger trunk and slightly better fuel economy, as well as composed handling that reviewers appreciate. The Taurus is also available with more tech features and all-wheel drive, which the Impala doesn’t offer.
The Chrysler 300 also costs a bit more than the Impala, but reviewers love the 300’s high-quality interior and standard infotainment system. Like the Taurus, the 300 also offers better fuel economy than the Impala, and all-wheel drive is optional.
Details: 2013 Chevrolet Impala
The 2013 Chevy Impala is available in LS, LT and LTZ trims. All models come with a 3.6-liter V6 engine, which is paired to a six-speed automatic transmission and front-wheel drive. The Impala can seat six when equipped with a front bench seat, which is available on all trims. The Impala sees few changes for 2013. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from 2011 and 2012, as well as the current model year.
Next Steps: Chevrolet Impala
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Chevrolet Impala
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Chevrolet Impala for sale (14,030 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Chevrolet Impala
- See what others paid for the 2013 Chevrolet Impala
- View Chevrolet Impala Photos
- See Affordable Large Cars rankings