Chevrolet Malibu Review
The 2014 Chevrolet Malibu ranks 13 out of 21 Affordable Midsize Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Chevrolet Malibu, as well as reliability and safety data.
Critics say that while the updated 2014 Chevrolet Malibu has improved, it still doesn’t stack up well against competitors that offer more refinement, flashier styling or better fuel economy.
The 2014 Chevrolet Malibu comes with a four-cylinder that reviewers say provides decent power, as well as a six-speed automatic transmission that they say is quick-shifting and refined. For 2014, Chevrolet has added an engine start-stop feature to help conserve fuel, and test drivers say that it operates smoothly. The base Malibu gets an EPA-estimated 25/36 mpg city/highway, which is good for its class. A more powerful, turbocharged four-cylinder model is also available, which offers ample power and quick acceleration. The Malibu gets a revised suspension this year, and automotive journalists write that the new suspension is much improved, delivering a smoother ride and more capable handling than the 2013 Malibu. However, many reviewers point out that there are several affordable midsize cars on the market that are more fun to drive, such as the Mazda6 and the Ford Fusion.
Automotive journalists agree that the 2014 Chevrolet Malibu has a quiet and attractively designed cabin that’s built with mostly soft-touch materials. Reviewers say the Malibu has comfortable and spacious front seats. Chevy improved rear passenger space this year, but critics say that the Malibu’s back seat needs more legroom. Test drivers note that there are a number of buttons on the Malibu’s dash, and they say that while the sheer number of controls can seem confusing at first, the Malibu’s switchgear is fairly intuitive after some study. Most auto writers think that Chevy’s optional MyLink infotainment system is easy to use, with clear on-screen menus. Trunk space is also very good for an affordable midsize car. The 2014 Chevy Malibu comes standard with Bluetooth phone connectivity, OnStar and a six-speaker sound system with satellite radio. Options include leather seating, Chevy’s MyLink infotainment system with a 7-inch touch-screen display, iPhone integration with Siri, navigation, a sunroof, a backup camera, forward collision alert, blind spot warning and lane departure warning.
- "If you're shopping for a midsize family sedan, making a choice isn't going to be easy. Some cars might hold a little more overall appeal, such as the dramatically styled Ford Fusion, the polished Honda Accord and the fuel-efficient Nissan Altima. The Hyundai Sonata, Kia Optima, Mazda 6 and Volkswagen Passat have earned strong accolades from us as well. But overall, the 2014 Chevrolet Malibu is still a good prospect worth scouting during the search for your next family car." -- Edmunds
- "The Chevy Malibu is a sedan in need of an X factor. While competent overall, it doesn't have the beauty of the Ford Fusion or Kia Optima, the 40-plus mpg fuel economy of the Camry Hybrid or Volkswagen Passat diesel, or the sheer does-everything-right finesse of the Honda Accord or Nissan Altima." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "All in, the 2014 model year enhancements make for a robust, much improved package. We might not pick it over many of its midsize classmates, but as an appliance, the Malibu pulls off the whole Camry formula better than Toyota itself can right now. It might not be the car we'd commit to, but we'd gladly meet it for coffee again sometime." -- Autoblog
- "These revisions don't reinvent the Malibu, but they certainly help polish the 2014 Chevrolet Malibu into something we can finally consider a competitive midsize sedan." -- Automobile Magazine
Other Cars to Consider
Reviewers say the Ford Fusion has engaging handling and an exciting exterior design. Unlike the Malibu, the Fusion also has available all-wheel drive, which may appeal to shoppers who travel on slippery roads.
Automotive journalists say that if you’re looking for a sporty affordable midsize car, the Mazda6 is very fun to drive. Like the Malibu, the Mazda6 also gets good fuel economy for the class.
Details: 2014 Chevrolet Malibu
The 2014 Chevrolet seats five and has standard front-wheel drive. A 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine and a six-speed automatic transmission are standard. A turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine is optional. The 2014 Chevy Malibu comes in six trims: LS, 1LT, 2LT, 3LT, 1LTZ and 2LTZ. The Chevrolet Malibu was redesigned for the 2013 model year and receives a number of updates for 2014, including available new features, refreshed interior and exterior styling and a retuned base engine.
Next Steps: Chevrolet Malibu
- View the best prices for the 2014 Chevrolet Malibu
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Chevrolet Malibu
- Search used Chevrolet Malibu for sale (18,563 listings)
- See Affordable Midsize Cars rankings