Chevrolet Malibu Review
The 2015 Chevrolet Malibu ranks 11 out of 18 Affordable Midsize Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Chevrolet Malibu, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Chevrolet Malibu impresses test drivers with its powerful base engine and gentle ride, but they note that many rivals have more precise handling and bigger back seats.
Automotive writers say the 2015 Chevrolet Malibu gets quick acceleration from its standard four-cylinder engine and that the available turbocharged four-cylinder engine is comparable to competing six-cylinders in terms of power output. Critics praise the six-speed automatic transmission for its smoothness and the fuel-saving standard stop-start engine system as efficient. The 2015 Chevrolet Malibu gets an EPA-estimated 25/36 mpg city/highway, which matches what many rivals get, although some, such as the Nissan Altima, use less fuel. Critics write that the Malibu has a very composed ride, but lacks the dynamic handling of many competitors. Automotive journalists also wish it had better steering feedback and a firmer brake pedal feel.
The 2015 Chevy Malibu has a quieter, more elegant cabin than class rivals, according to reviewers. Despite the use of some hard plastics, critics say the interior mostly features high-end materials. They find trunk space is good and the front seats comfortable, but they add the rear seats lack appropriate legroom for adults. Standard features in the 2015 Malibu include Bluetooth phone connectivity, a six-speaker audio system and OnStar with 4G LTE and a built-in Wi-Fi hot spot. Available features include leather upholstery, heated front seats, a sunroof, navigation, a nine-speaker Pioneer audio system, satellite radio, a USB port, proximity key, push-button start, a rearview camera, rear parking sensors, forward collision alert, blind spot monitoring, lane departure warning and Chevy’s MyLink touch-screen infotainment system. Reviewers note that the MyLink system has a user-friendly interface and a lot of high-tech features, including smartphone integration with support for apps like Stitcher and Pandora.
- "The Malibu gets the job done, but it tends to get lost in the shuffle versus its higher-profile rivals. That's a shame, because when you get right down to it, the Malibu is a pretty nice car with few apparent weaknesses." -- Edmunds
- "Otherwise, with the exception of a few new colors, the 2015 Chevy Malibu is largely carryover, and that's fine with us. We like the quiet and comfortable ride, and the Malibu remains one of the better looking sedans in its class, inside and out." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The Malibu is Chevrolet's entry into the competitive midsize sedan segment. Although not as spacious or engaging to drive as some rivals, it does offer an appealing cabin design along with a user-friendly infotainment setup." -- Left Lane News
- "All in, the 2014 model year enhancements make for a robust, much improved package. We might not pick it over many of its midsize classmates, but as an appliance, the Malibu pulls off the whole Camry formula better than Toyota itself can right now." -- Autoblog (2014)
Chevrolet Malibu Pictures & Videos
Other Cars to Consider
Auto writers appreciate the Ford Fusion’s spacious back seats, agile handling and lively turbocharged engine options. Unlike the Malibu, the Fusion is available with all-wheel drive, which could be a boon for shoppers in harsh winter climates.
Test drivers say the Nissan Altima has an attractive interior and top-notch materials. They add that its sporty handling makes it more fun to drive than most affordable midsize cars. The Altima also has one of the highest fuel economy estimates in the class.
Details: 2015 Chevrolet Malibu
The 2015 Chevrolet Malibu is a five-seat sedan that’s available in six trims: LS, 1LT, 2LT, 3LT, 1LTZ and 2LTZ. It comes standard with a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine, a six-speed automatic transmission and front-wheel drive. A turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine is optional. The Chevrolet Malibu’s last full redesign was in 2013, and since it sees no major changes for 2015, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2013 through 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Chevrolet Malibu
- View the best prices for the 2015 Chevrolet Malibu
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Chevrolet Malibu
- Search used Chevrolet Malibu for sale (26,556 listings)
- See Affordable Midsize Cars rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals