2008 Chevrolet Malibu Review
This review was written when the 2008 Chevrolet Malibu was new.
Auto writers are pleased with the 2008 Chevrolet Malibu's driving dynamics, good looks and comfortable ride. Many say the car has joined the perennial class-leaders like the Honda Accord.
According to our analysis, the redesigned 2008 Chevrolet Malibu is an affordable midsize sedan that competes at the top of its class, even with the respected Toyota Camry and Honda Accord. In fact, following a comparison test between the Malibu and the current-generation Camry, AutoWeek "came away impressed at how well the Malibu held its line and stayed planted over bumpy paved corners versus the Japanese competitor." As a whole, the auto industry recognizes the Malibu's overall worthiness compared to the class' leaders by bestowing it with various awards. Car and Driver picked it as one of its 10Best for 2008, and the Malibu was also selected as the North American Car of the Year during the North American International Auto Show in January 2008. In February, the Malibu was named Kiplinger magazine's "Best in Class" winner for sedans costing between $20,000 and $25,000. Automobile Magazine lists the 2008 Malibu as one of the 2008 Automobile All-Stars for both its good looks and good moves. According to the magazine, "Substance, not appearance, is what makes the Malibu an All-Star."
- "Get out of the fast lane, Toyota Camry. Move aside, Honda Accord. For the first time in a generation, General Motors is back with a game-changing midsize sedan. And the imports better be worried, when they see the 2008 Chevrolet Malibu pull up in their rearview mirror." -- The Car Connection
- "A smart purchase for anyone seeking a fine mid-size sedan." -- Car and Driver
- A "svelte-looking 4-door sedan that you'll actually want to rent...or purchase." -- Road and Track
- "Ford, GM, and, to a lesser extent, Chrysler are closing the quality gap with foreign carmakers and building vehicles -- such as the new Chevrolet Malibu and Cadillac CTS -- that are generating excitement." -- Kiplinger
- "The 2008 Chevrolet Malibu…has emerged from bread-and-butter mediocrity to become a beautifully designed and smartly engineered mid-size family sedan that invites pride of ownership." -- Washington Post
- "When I say the 2008 Chevrolet Malibu is a respectable, well-tempered, solidly average car, it's important to remember how high-functioning average is in this class, which includes Toyota Camry, Honda Accord and Nissan Altima. … When each of your competitors makes a killer car for the money, there is no shame in being average. Average is a glittering triumph." -- Los Angeles Times