Chevrolet Malibu Interior
The majority of auto critics like the style of 2013 Malibu’s redesigned interior. Some are impressed with the high-quality materials, though one is disappointed with the look and feel of the cabin. Some reviewers think the Malibu’s seats are comfortable and spacious, though others think the back seat is cramped. Many test drivers report that the new MyLink infotainment system is easy to read and use.
- "The Malibu's blue ambient lighting reflects off of strategically-located chrome accents throughout the cabin to create a modern, inviting ambiance." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Unfortunately, the materials in the cabin and the design itself underwhelmed me." -- Cars.com
- "Of course there's always plenty of personal opinion when it comes to interiors, but this Malibu is up near the top, with a twin-cockpit sense to the front." -- Road and Track
- "The 2013 Chevrolet Malibu stands out from the crowd with a cabin that verges on entry-level luxury territory. The look is attractive, there is an abundance of soft-touch materials and the various buttons and knobs feel substantial." -- Edmunds
- "The cabin's most impressive trait is once again its style and quality. The soft-touch plastics, the deep-pile carpet, the woven headliner, the convincing simulated wood, and even the switchgear all feel a notch above the competition." -- Automobile Magazine
Most auto reviewers say the 2013 Malibu has comfortable, supportive seats. Many note that rear-seat comfort is superb, and they say the redesigned interior feels larger than it is, although one thinks that rear-seat legroom is tight. Another reviewer says that installing a rear-facing child seat significantly reduces front-seat legroom and that overall space with two child seats is disappointing. Leather and heated front seats are available.
- "The front seat cushions are firm and nicely scalloped. For two folks, back-seat comfort is excellent, with the Malibu's wider front and rear tracks resulting in a 3.2-inch gain in shoulder room." -- Car and Driver
- "My biggest issue with the interior is its lack of space, particularly in the rear. Installing two convertible safety seats is doable but leaves little room for even the tiniest of legs, not to mention a third passenger between the seats. The installation of a rear-facing infant seat decimates the front passenger's legroom." -- Mother Proof
- "The front-wheel-drive 4-door's stance is about two inches wider than the Malibu it replaces, and while the rear legroom can get a little Rhode Island at times, the front-seat area is big like Texas in all directions." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Step indoors, and the Malibu welcomes you with a cabin that feels more expansive than its figures would suggest." -- Autoblog
- "The seats are comfortable, apparently designed to take in a variety of backside sizes." -- Road and Track
The 2013 Chevy Malibu has Chevrolet’s new MyLink infotainment system standard on all but the base trim. It integrates things like Bluetooth phone and audio, satellite radio and Internet audio apps, like Pandora. The 2013 Malibu Eco has standard dual-zone climate control, Bluetooth, satellite radio, a USB port, an auxiliary audio jack and OnStar Turn-by-Turn navigation. The Malibu can be equipped with features like heated front seats, leather-appointed seats, remote start, a sunroof and a nine-speaker Pioneer audio system. The 2013 Malibu has 10 airbags and GM’s OnStar system standard, which can automatically alert emergency responders if the car has been in an accident. Optional safety features include a rearview camera and a lane departure warning system with forward collision alert.
Reviewers like the MyLink system and its 7-inch touch screen for being easy to use, and one praises Chevrolet for also having traditional knobs for audio and climate controls, saying that their simplicity is refreshing in an era where controls are overly complicated and confusing. The base and optional audio systems also receive positive comments from test drivers, with one reviewer saying they’re “exceptional.”
- "All controls, along with the instrument cluster, are easy to read. And to use. Note to other automakers: Why do some of you insist on making these simple aspects so obscure and difficult?" -- Road and Track
- "Both the 6-speaker base audio and the optional 9-speaker Pioneer setup are exceptional, as is the standard (and blessedly easy to use) Chevrolet MyLink system." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Thankfully, Chevy has preserved a few old-fashioned knobs -- five of them, actually -- for radio and climate control." -- Automobile Magazine
- "When it comes to operating the new MyLink system, the Malibu is teeming with options. … It's easy enough for a child to figure out and allows you to integrate myriad entertainment and communication options that come through your smartphone or USB-connected device." -- Mother Proof
The 2013 Chevrolet Malibu's trunk offers 16.3 cubic feet of cargo space. That’s slightly less space than the Hyundai Sonata’s trunk, but more than what’s available in the Toyota Camry and Volkswagen Passat. The Malibu Eco’s battery pack takes up trunk space, so it only has 13.2 cubic feet available. This is common among cars with battery packs, like hybrids, but the Malibu Eco’s trunk is bigger than full-hybrid competitors, like the Toyota Camry Hybrid and Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. Most reviewers think the trunk space in the Malibu Eco is useful, though one thinks the pass-through is too small to be functional, and one wishes there was a button or lever to open the trunk from inside the car.
- "Also, while the Eco still manages to provide a pass-through into the interior, it is rather small and located in the upper left corner of the trunk. We suppose it's better than nothing, but we also can't imagine how useful it would be." -- Edmunds
- "Overall interior storage space is excellent, with hidden storage available behind the flip-up navigation screen, a nice touch." -- MarketWatch
- "There is no trunk release button in the cabin, so you have to open it manually or with the key fob. I like the flexibility of having a trunk release in the cabin, so I found this bothersome." -- Mother Proof (Malibu Eco)
Next Steps: Chevrolet Malibu
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Chevrolet Malibu
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Chevrolet Malibu for sale (15,575 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Chevrolet Malibu
- See what others paid for the 2013 Chevrolet Malibu
- View Chevrolet Malibu Photos
- See Affordable Midsize Cars rankings